Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Outlook, eh? Outlook, eh? is offline

Default Update date/time when opened

I had used InsertDate Time and checked Update Automatically. I know that the
date/time can be update after printing and save, but I am not so sure about
opening. A user that we support said that she used to be able to have the
current date when a file was opened, but I don't see any options on how to
make that happen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-bryce
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I am not sure why anyone would want a document's date to update when the
document is opened, but that can be arranged by the insertion of a DATE
field, which reflects the system date of the PC. This is supposed to happen
if you insert a date with the automatic update option set. ALT+F9 will
toggle the display so you can verify that you do have a field. If nothing
changes, the date is inserted as text and obviously will not update. Replace
it with a DATE field.

More useful is the Createdate field, which is usually inserted in the
document template, thus new documents display the dates they were created
from the template.

Outlook, eh? wrote:
I had used InsertDate Time and checked Update Automatically. I know
that the date/time can be update after printing and save, but I am
not so sure about opening. A user that we support said that she used
to be able to have the current date when a file was opened, but I
don't see any options on how to make that happen. Any help would be
greatly appreciated. -bryce

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Outlook, eh? Outlook, eh? is offline

Hey Graham,
Our admin dept. uses it to send out standard thank you letters. Supposedly
not having to update the date that the letter is being sent is a big help.

I already have the formula {Date\@...} and the update automatically box
checked, but for some reason only one of the four documents has changed to
the current date on opening.

Which is my concern. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Outlook, eh? wrote:
I had used InsertDate Time and checked Update Automatically. I know
that the date/time can be update after printing and save, but I am
not so sure about opening. A user that we support said that she used
to be able to have the current date when a file was opened, but I
don't see any options on how to make that happen. Any help would be
greatly appreciated. -bryce

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Fields such as that may not update automatically on opening but will update
when you print (provided you have "Update fields" checked on the Print tab
of Tools | Options). Or you can force an update with Print Preview or F9.

Outlook, eh? wrote:
I had used InsertDate Time and checked Update Automatically. I know
that the date/time can be update after printing and save, but I am
not so sure about opening. A user that we support said that she used
to be able to have the current date when a file was opened, but I
don't see any options on how to make that happen. Any help would be
greatly appreciated. -bryce

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I assume them that Admin is not retaining copies of the thank you letters?
If it is you would be betters saving the standard text as a template and
using in it a createdate field. Then rather than open the document, create a
new one from the template.

or

If you add the following lines to an autoopen macro in the document's
template, the fields will be updated when you open the document

With ActiveDocument
.PrintPreview
.ClosePrintPreview
End With