Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LTJ LTJ is offline

Default Autotext in 2007

I want to have it like before when I started writing my name it suggested the
whole thing and I could enter it (with adresse and so on).
Several colleagues has asked me after upgrading how do they make new
autotext, they use it a lot, and it makes it so much faster when using the
same words again and again.
I tried the Building blocks, but I can't see any easy way, what am I doing
wrong.
I've noticed in newsgroups that autotext doesn't exist anymore, I sure hope
we get it back in the next Word upgrade.
But is there any easy way to make an autotext like name and adress in 2007?
Acutally any text we use all the time, it takes forever to write if we can't
do it like before, but maybe I'm not smart enough to find out how to do it in
2007.
--
LTJ
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi LTJ,

It's not anything you're doing or not doing

For Word 2007 the 'Autotext' feature was expanded by MS into 36 separate Document Building Block galleries (quick tables, quick
parts, equations, cover pages, etc) of stored, reusable content with 'picture previews' that use 'click to insert' capability and
the ability to have specific keyboard shortcuts assigned to any of them. With that much stored reusable content, many items not
having unique names to trigger the tooltips, Microsoft disabled the 'autocomplete suggestion' feature for all of the building block
galleries and categories, so you don't see the tooltip suggestions except for dates.

If you know that in your prior Word version typing, for example
xyz1
would have given you a suggestion to insert a whole paragraph for you that was stored in Autotext then typing, in WOrd 2007
xyz1 then pressing the F3 key
should insert the same building block content for you, if, the template that held that information in the prior version has been
attached to Word 2007 or has been simply dropped into the Document Building Blocks folder.
You can add the AutoText gallery to the Quick Access toolbar (right click the toolbar, select customize, and locate 'Autotext' in
the 'All commands' section.

Some folks store content in Autocorrect, where typing the xyz1 (example) will replace with the Autocorrect stored entry and if you
don't want to have the replacement using Ctrl+Z will take it back out. Other folks use 3rd party keyboard macro products (there are
quite a few g) that watch what you type to suggest replacement text you've stored. One mentioned recently was GhostTyperXML
(http://sc-data.de/ghosttyper/en/ )

=============
"LTJ" wrote in message ...
[...]

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LTJ LTJ is offline

Thank you for replay. I understand the new function I just don't see it as
something better than autocomplete. For secretaries using many same things to
write it's no good having to give names and press F3 it's impossible to
remember that's why autocomplete was such a helpful thing.

Word help unfortunately does not give any good help as how to use building
blocks.
We'll just have to settle with the fact that we have to write all text
ourselves. A shame as so much time good be saved using autocomplete. It's a
step back in my opinion.
I'm sure building blocks are good for something but it does NOT replace the
old function. Too bad.
--
LTJ

"LTJ" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I've seen this comment numerous times before, and I still don't understand
it. AutoComplete works by presenting a ScreenTip when you type the first
four letters of the AutoText entry name. If you don't know the name of the
AutoText entry, then how is it that you are typing those four letters? And
if you do know the four letters, why can't you equally well type them and
press F3? And, as others have pointed out, many such entries could equally
well be saved as AutoCorrect entries.