Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
stephaj stephaj is offline

Default TOC Trouble

Dear friends:

I'm having a little problem with my Table of Contents.

I have two documents, well there are going to be six total that all
neen TOCs

The first one set up just fine, but the second document. every time I
need to update the entire table it loses the formating I have given it
and reverts back to the bacis. The one where the nameds of the
chapters are flush to the left and the page number is directly at the
end of the chapter name. What I want is for the table to spread out
across the page with a dotted line from the end of the text to the page
number.

This is how the first table is, and when I update the list it stays
that way.

One the other documents I can put my curser at the end of the text and
press tab and the line spreads out across the page just like I want,
but when I try and update the list I lose that format.

why does one document keep the format and the other will not? How do I
fix this. I am riping out my hair, or what's left of it.

Thanks

Andy

--
stephaj
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

As you have noticed, you cannot add formatting directly to the TOC entries;
it will be cleared the next time you update the TOC.

Instead, modify each of the TOC styles (TOC 1, TOC 2, etc.) to include a
right-aligned tab stop (with a leader) at the right margin. Then you should
be able to update the TOC without losing the format.

If you need detailed instructions, please tell me your version of Word.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"stephaj" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Carol Morast Carol  Morast is offline

Fellow Word Users-

I'm working on recreating a Word template that I was using with an older
version of InfoMapping. FSPro is not working well with the old template.
Basically, I had a master document and a subdocument (both templates). The
issue I'm having is with the TOCs. I've been able to insert a TOC and change
the style on the subdocument, but when I insert my document into the master
and update the master TOC, the page numbers do not update on the subdocument
TOC. Although I've been using Word for technical writing for years, I've
always relied on these templates for formatting the TOCs and putting my
subdocuments together, so I am not very familiar with all the formatting
tricks in Word. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!