Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
pcutter pcutter is offline

Default wrap text around full page image

I am trying to wrap text around an image that takes up an *entire* page. I
just can't get this to work. I have tried all settings on the image only,
tried putting a frame around the image, putting it in a table, everything.
The best I can get is to have the whole image on a single page except for one
line of text that just doesn't want to go away.

I have scoured the web for this issue but there doesn't seem to be anything
addressing issues with full page images.

Help!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The reason you haven't found anything is that Word can't wrap text around
full-page images. You can have a full-page inline image, faking the wrap,
but if the graphic is wrapped, it has to be anchored to text on the same
page.

"pcutter" wrote in message
I am trying to wrap text around an image that takes up an *entire* page. I
just can't get this to work. I have tried all settings on the image only,
tried putting a frame around the image, putting it in a table, everything.
The best I can get is to have the whole image on a single page except for
one
line of text that just doesn't want to go away.

I have scoured the web for this issue but there doesn't seem to be
anything
addressing issues with full page images.

Help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 19:13:00 -0700, pcutter
wrote:

I am trying to wrap text around an image that takes up an *entire* page. I
just can't get this to work. I have tried all settings on the image only,
tried putting a frame around the image, putting it in a table, everything.
The best I can get is to have the whole image on a single page except for one
line of text that just doesn't want to go away.

I have scoured the web for this issue but there doesn't seem to be anything
addressing issues with full page images.

Help!!!

You haven't found anything because Word can't do it. It has often been requested
but has never been implemented.

In technical terms, every floating object in Word is required to be anchored to
a paragraph of regular text _on the same page_ as the object. There are no
exceptions.

In philosophical terms, Word is a word processor, not a page layout or desktop
publishing program. It has no concept of pages as static containers as you would
find in Publisher and similar programs; a page in Word exists only to the extent
that it's filled with text, and all other objects are tied to the text flow.

The closest you'll get in Word is to place an empty paragraph mark on the page
and anchor the image in that paragraph. However, text before and after that
paragraph won't flow around it, and will have to be adjusted manually to avoid
big patches of empty space.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
pcutter pcutter is offline

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for the response.
Can you elaborate on the statement "You can have a full-page inline image,
faking the wrap"?

Is this a method to achieve what I was looking for?

Thanks,
Pete

"pcutter" wrote in message
I am trying to wrap text around an image that takes up an *entire* page. I
just can't get this to work. I have tried all settings on the image only,
tried putting a frame around the image, putting it in a table, everything.
The best I can get is to have the whole image on a single page except for
one
line of text that just doesn't want to go away.

I have scoured the web for this issue but there doesn't seem to be
anything
addressing issues with full page images.

Help!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It's the only method. Don't even try to insert (or at least not to position)
the image until editing is complete. Then use the following technique:

1. At the end of the page preceding the one where you want the image, insert
a page break.

2. Insert the image, In Line With Text, and another page break (if
necessary).

3. Your text will continue on the following page.

If you're really lucky, you'll have been able to make the break at the end
of a paragraph. If not, you'll have to fake it. If your paragraphs are
left-aligned and have no first-line indent, there will be no problem. If
they are justified or have a first-line indent (or both), use the following
techniques to simulate the wrap.

1. On the page before the image, end the last line with a line break (so the
line will be justified). Format the runover line (which will be just the
paragraph mark) as 1 point font size. If that is not enough, make it Hidden.

2. On the page after the image, remove the first-line indent from the first
paragraph or (preferably) apply an unindented style. I use both Body Text
and Body Text First Indent in my books, so I just apply the unindented Body
Text style to such paragraphs.

If the image is truly full-page size, you might be able to get away with
this variation: just insert the image, In Line With Text, in the text
paragraph itself, between the last line of the preceding page and the first
line of the following page. This will work, of course, only if the image is
full margin width; if it has to be centered and the paragraph you insert it
into isn't centered, it won't work. Similarly, if it's not full-page height,
then some text would follow it on the page.

news