Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gmet Gmet is offline

Default Formatting / Word 2003

My question is a bit difficult to explain but i ll try to be clear:
I trie dto format my document, defining formats like Body / Main Head / Sub
Heads etc, to apply a constant format quickly.
That worked alright on some parts but some other parts were screwing up.
When I sow these "PI" buttons "¶", that showed me as well a symbol like the
little blqck squre bullet front of some lines. However these squares are not
bullets, they just appear as indicators as ¶ sign or tab sign etc.
And I believe these lines were kinda linked somehow and that is why my
formatting was messing up.

What is this symbol standing for? How do we get rid of it?
Thank you very much in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Gmet wrote:
My question is a bit difficult to explain but i ll try to be clear:
I trie dto format my document, defining formats like Body / Main Head
/ Sub Heads etc, to apply a constant format quickly.
That worked alright on some parts but some other parts were screwing
up. When I sow these "PI" buttons "¶", that showed me as well a
symbol like the little blqck squre bullet front of some lines.
However these squares are not bullets, they just appear as indicators
as ¶ sign or tab sign etc.
And I believe these lines were kinda linked somehow and that is why my
formatting was messing up.

What is this symbol standing for? How do we get rid of it?
Thank you very much in advance!

Read http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...PrintChars.htm,
particularly this part:

'... you will sometimes see a small black bullet in the margin next to a
paragraph. This indicates that the paragraph is formatted with the "Keep
with next," "Keep lines together," "Page break before," or "Suppress line
numbers" property. These settings are found on the Line and Page Breaks tab
of the Format Paragraph dialog; if you double-click on the "bullet" itself,
you will bring up this dialog with the Line and Page Breaks tab selected.
Word's built-in Heading styles by default are formatted as "Keep with next,"
so you will always see these bullets next to them.'

You don't say in what way your "formatting was messing up" so it's
impossible to say whether that's related to these bullets in the margin.
However, I doubt it. You'd probably benefit from reading
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/conc...les/index.html.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman