Fountain Fountain is offline
Junior Member

Default Formatting trouble

Please help me if you can. I have windows vista and word for windows 2000, or at least I think I do.

When I type a word document in 12 font, with the dictionary set to U.K it stays fine and formats how I want it to. It puts in numbers for points and keeps the subscript and superscript numbers how they should be. Then when the document is closed and re-opened it has a whole list of command text and symbols at the end of it. Also the font has changed back to 10, the dictionary is in U.S and the numbered points appear as a single paragraph. I am stuck as to how to change this.

Any suggestions welcome
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Fountain wrote:
Please help me if you can. I have windows vista and word for windows
2000, or at least I think I do.

When I type a word document in 12 font, with the dictionary set to U.K
it stays fine and formats how I want it to. It puts in numbers for
points and keeps the subscript and superscript numbers how they should
be. Then when the document is closed and re-opened it has a whole
list of command text and symbols at the end of it. Also the font has
changed back to 10, the dictionary is in U.S and the numbered points
appear as a single paragraph. I am stuck as to how to change this.

Any suggestions welcome

You have the Open dialog set to use the "Recover text from any file" setting
in the "Files of type" box at the bottom.

In Word 2000 that setting is "sticky" -- once set, it stays there until you
change it. In later versions, the dangers of this were recognized, and the
setting automatically reverts to "Word documents" after one use.

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/RecoverText.htm for more info.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Fountain Fountain is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Freedman View Post
Fountain wrote:
[...]

Thankyou that's sorted it. Really helpful information.