Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ahdoj ahdoj is offline

Default Word's Numbering Explained

I have just read, and tried to understand, John's excellent article, Word's
numbering explained. I think I understand most of it and will come back with
specific questions if I don't. In the meantime, because of the date of the
article I'm unclear about versions: is the article in its entirety applicable
to 2003? If not, which portions are not?

Thanks

ahdoj
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I haven't looked at it recently, but I suspect it was probably written about
Word 2000-era, and nothing about numbering would have changed for Word 2003
(there are a few changes in Word 2007). List styles were introduced in Word
2002 or 2003, but since we don't really understand how they're supposed to
work, most of us don't use them. See also
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html for the
straight poop on setting up pretty much unbreakable outline-numbering
schemes.

"ahdoj" wrote in message
I have just read, and tried to understand, John's excellent article,

Word's
numbering explained. I think I understand most of it and will come back

with
specific questions if I don't. In the meantime, because of the date of the
article I'm unclear about versions: is the article in its entirety

applicable
to 2003? If not, which portions are not?

Thanks

ahdoj

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Well, since Word 2007 does not allow you to access the settings for
outline/multilevel lists via a paragraph style, using list styles actually
makes (more) sense now... As previously, you can create a list style *and*
link each numbering level of the list style to a paragraph style.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I haven't looked at it recently, but I suspect it was probably written
about
Word 2000-era, and nothing about numbering would have changed for Word
2003
(there are a few changes in Word 2007). List styles were introduced in
Word
2002 or 2003, but since we don't really understand how they're supposed to
work, most of us don't use them. See also
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html for the
straight poop on setting up pretty much unbreakable outline-numbering
schemes.

so
all may benefit.

"ahdoj" wrote in message
I have just read, and tried to understand, John's excellent article,

Word's
numbering explained. I think I understand most of it and will come back

with
specific questions if I don't. In the meantime, because of the date of
the
article I'm unclear about versions: is the article in its entirety

applicable
to 2003? If not, which portions are not?

Thanks

ahdoj

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ahdoj ahdoj is offline

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. You're work is much appreciated (all of
you). It's so nice to know that I'm not alone in this madness. ; ahdoj