Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kym Kym is offline

Default Table of Contents Page # Error Word 2007-2003

I'm using Word 2007 and my clients all use Word 2003. I created a doc in
compatibility mode, including a one-page Table of Contents (TOC), and it
looked fine on my monitor. When my client received the doc via e-mail, not
only was the TOC on two pages, but all the page numbers had changed to 1 and
the page breaks on his version were in different areas of the document from
what I was showing.

Under a very strict time deadline, I manually generated the TOC and that
worked, but then had to drive to my client's officeto fix the page breaks. I
needed to ensure the pages ended in certain spots of the doc.

Any ideas what caused this and how I can fix it in case it happens again?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Different computer, different printer, different printer driver.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Kym" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2007 and my clients all use Word 2003. I created a doc in
compatibility mode, including a one-page Table of Contents (TOC), and it
looked fine on my monitor. When my client received the doc via e-mail,
not
only was the TOC on two pages, but all the page numbers had changed to 1
and
the page breaks on his version were in different areas of the document
from
what I was showing.

Under a very strict time deadline, I manually generated the TOC and that
worked, but then had to drive to my client's officeto fix the page breaks.
needed to ensure the pages ended in certain spots of the doc.

Any ideas what caused this and how I can fix it in case it happens again?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Use your client's printer driver when formatting its documents. Make sure
the automatically update document styles is not selected on the templates and
add-ins dialog. Make sure you are using fonts that your client has€”or Word
2003 will make font substitutions, which could change pagination.

HTH,
PamC

Kym wrote:
I'm using Word 2007 and my clients all use Word 2003. I created a doc in
compatibility mode, including a one-page Table of Contents (TOC), and it
looked fine on my monitor. When my client received the doc via e-mail, not
only was the TOC on two pages, but all the page numbers had changed to 1 and
the page breaks on his version were in different areas of the document from
what I was showing.

Under a very strict time deadline, I manually generated the TOC and that
worked, but then had to drive to my client's officeto fix the page breaks. I
needed to ensure the pages ended in certain spots of the doc.

Any ideas what caused this and how I can fix it in case it happens again?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kym Kym is offline

Thanks Pam, I will try that. I expected there to be some minor difference to
the doc, but not the major differences I was seeing. Was unable to put it in
pdf
format as others in other states needed to add to it & needs to be with a
state governmental entity by a specific time on Monday.

Still unsure why the TOC kept changing all the page #s to 1, but at least
I found a quick fix.

Thanks for your advice!

Kym wrote:
I'm using Word 2007 and my clients all use Word 2003. I created a doc in
compatibility mode, including a one-page Table of Contents (TOC), and it
looked fine on my monitor. When my client received the doc via e-mail, not
only was the TOC on two pages, but all the page numbers had changed to 1 and
the page breaks on his version were in different areas of the document from
what I was showing.

Under a very strict time deadline, I manually generated the TOC and that
worked, but then had to drive to my client's officeto fix the page breaks. I
needed to ensure the pages ended in certain spots of the doc.

Any ideas what caused this and how I can fix it in case it happens again?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Maybe this MS help and support page "The page numbers in the table of
contents are incorrectly displayed when you open a document in Word 2003 or
in Word 2002 " will help

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912940

PamC

Kym wrote:
Thanks Pam, I will try that. I expected there to be some minor difference to
the doc, but not the major differences I was seeing. Was unable to put it in
pdf
format as others in other states needed to add to it & needs to be with a
state governmental entity by a specific time on Monday.

Still unsure why the TOC kept changing all the page #s to 1, but at least
I found a quick fix.

Thanks for your advice!

Use your client's printer driver when formatting its documents. Make sure
the automatically update document styles is not selected on the templates and

[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]