Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim

Default file locked

If you open a word file off a network drive, and then do a saveas to a new
file, the original file remains locked until you close the new file. We
have found this to be the case with our Word 2003. This seems like a bug to
me, and it seems like there should be a better answer than to tell people to
close the file and then reopen. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kevin B

Make the file a template on the network drive, and that might just do what
you want. Is the file template like document, like a fill-in the blanks form
doc.
--
Kevin Backmann

"Tim" wrote:

If you open a word file off a network drive, and then do a saveas to a new
file, the original file remains locked until you close the new file. We
have found this to be the case with our Word 2003. This seems like a bug to
me, and it seems like there should be a better answer than to tell people to
close the file and then reopen. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim

no this is random files. they want to start a new file but know than an
existing one has a lot of what they want in the new one, so a template
doesn't really work. I know I could tell them to copy the file first or
other workarounds but the bottom line is, I think they should be able to do
it the way they are.