a144mb

Default Doc Markup Conflict in XP & 2003

I have a new user that's using Office 2003 SP1 on WinXP OS and works on legal
documents. She uses the 'Reviewing' toolbar option in Word 2003 SP1 almost
daily. There are other documents that she shares with other paralegals on the
Win2K3 network. When she saves a doc after selecting 'Final' in the Reviewing
toolbar, Word automatically converts the doc into "Final Showing Markup". So
when the next person opens the document, it will show the markup/comments
throughout the doc. However when another user running Office/Word XP on Win2K
OS saves the exact same file as 'Final' and re-opens it, that very same
document does not convert back to "Final Showing Markup". We have a mixed
environment of Office XP & Office2K3 as well as Win2K & WinXP OS. I know that
there may be a software version conflict, but other than a service pack what
can I do to resolve this issue?
Kinjalip

Do you know if others are accepting all Changes before sending the document
back out. I had similar issue and having clients select Accept all changes
then send as final the changes will not reappear for the next client. The
Final showing Markup is the default.

"a144mb" wrote:

I have a new user that's using Office 2003 SP1 on WinXP OS and works on legal
documents. She uses the 'Reviewing' toolbar option in Word 2003 SP1 almost
daily. There are other documents that she shares with other paralegals on the
Win2K3 network. When she saves a doc after selecting 'Final' in the Reviewing
toolbar, Word automatically converts the doc into "Final Showing Markup". So
when the next person opens the document, it will show the markup/comments
throughout the doc. However when another user running Office/Word XP on Win2K
OS saves the exact same file as 'Final' and re-opens it, that very same
document does not convert back to "Final Showing Markup". We have a mixed
environment of Office XP & Office2K3 as well as Win2K & WinXP OS. I know that
there may be a software version conflict, but other than a service pack what
can I do to resolve this issue?

Shauna Kelly

Hi

How someone views a document depends on their settings, and is up to them.
You can't determine how a document will open on someone else's machine.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"a144mb" wrote:

[...]

In Word 2003 there is a setting to "Make hidden markup visible when opening
or saving." There is a good reason this is located on the Security tab of
Tools | Options: it is intended to protect you from the embarrassment (or
even legal liability) of sending a document with tracked changes still
visible. You can disable this option at your own risk, but be aware that
changing the view to Final does not remove the markup; it just hides it. If
you want to remove the markup entirely, you need to Accept All Changes in
Document and Delete All Comments in Document.