Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stephen stephen is offline

Default automatically delete text in clipboard on exit

Hi,

Every time I exit Word 2007, I get a box that asks me if I want to keep the
text in the clipboard for other applications. I never want to keep the text
in the clipboard, so does anyone possibly know of some way that I can tick
some box so that I'll never be asked that again.

Thanks for any help.

Stephen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 30 May 2009 02:56:00 -0700, Stephen
wrote:

Hi,

Every time I exit Word 2007, I get a box that asks me if I want to keep the
text in the clipboard for other applications. I never want to keep the text
in the clipboard, so does anyone possibly know of some way that I can tick
some box so that I'll never be asked that again.

Thanks for any help.

Stephen

There's no way to "tick some box" to turn off the prompts. You need a macro to
clear the clipboard before exiting from Word. Put this macro into a module in
the Normal.dotm template (see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm if
needed):

Sub AutoClose()
Dim MyData As DataObject
If Documents.Count 2 Then
' clear clipboard
Set MyData = New DataObject
MyData.SetText ""
MyData.PutInClipboard
Set MyData = Nothing
End If
End Sub

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The only time I've gotten that message is when some very long text is
on the Clipboard (and the message refers to the largeness of the
material), so it's not normal behavior for Word to ask about it, so
there must be some way to turn off the prompt! In Office? In Windows?

wrote:

[...]

Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

When you copy something onto the clipboard, it is put there in several
formats (the Paste Special list of formats gives an indication of the
formats that are there). Some of those formats are actually 'on the
clipboard' (that is in some Windows memory somewhere) in full, and some of
them are just stubs with a marker to get the full data, if required, from
the application that placed the data there. If you have put something on the
clipboard from Word, and one of the formats it chooses to use is such a
stub, and then you close Word, Word recognises that it won't be around,
should you later try to paste the item in that format, so it asks you if you
will want it, and if you say yes, it will put the data there in full.

The criteria Word uses when deciding how to put data on the clipboard are
not documented (AFAIK) and may depend on many factors, size being but one.
Perhaps, and this is sheer guesswork on my part, it is less inclined to copy
full data on a machine with limited resources, so some people may see the
message more than others. Perhaps, of course, Stephen regularly copies large
items.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

wrote:

[...]

so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

My experience is that the message appears most often when the copied information
includes embedded graphics files. In testing the macro I posted, all I needed to
copy in order to trigger the message was the standard =rand() text plus two JPG
images. I don't think it had much to do with resources, either, as this is a
reasonably robust PC.

--
Jay

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

My experience is that the message appears most often when the copied
information
includes embedded graphics files.

That has been my experience, too.

But as Word's criteria are undocumented, there may be some circumstances
when it always happens, and some when it may only happen sometimes,
depending on other criteria. I'm only guessing :-)

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

wrote:

[...]

newsgroup
so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'll third that. I don't think I've ever gotten that prompt when the
Clipboard content didn't include graphics, though it's possible that if I'd
copy/pasted an entire document's worth of text I might have gotten it.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stephen stephen is offline

Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts. I don't really know what the normal.dotm is, so
inserting a macro might be a challenge. I'm kind of a plug-and-play guy,
which is why I was looking for a box to tick. Should anyone care, I copy and
paste a caption and a picture. It doesn't seem that big to me but obviously
Word thinks it is big.

Thanks again for trying.

Take care,

Stephen

"Stephen" wrote:

Hi,

Every time I exit Word 2007, I get a box that asks me if I want to keep the
text in the clipboard for other applications. I never want to keep the text
in the clipboard, so does anyone possibly know of some way that I can tick
some box so that I'll never be asked that again.

Thanks for any help.

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stephen stephen is offline

Hi,

Because your website says "Idiot's Guide to Installing Macros" I felt I was
qualified so I gave it a try. But I seem to be an even bigger Idiot than
most because I apparently did something wrong.

I know I didn't add the macro to the toolbar because, unfortunately, I have
2007. I also didn't add a shortcut or add the macro to the Quick Access
Toolbar because I figure if I have to click a shortcut or the toolbar every
time, it seems the same to me as clicking the dialogue box. I was hoping it
would run automatically on exit. If it isn't supposed to run automatically,
thanks anyway for trying. If it is suppose to run automatically, then I
obviously did something wrong.

When I try to exit now, I get a Microsoft Visual Basic box that says:
"Compile error: User-defined type not defined."

I, of course, have no clue what this means but possibly someone else does.

Thanks,

Stephen

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I apologize profusely. I missed a step that's required for this macro, but not
generally for most macros.

The line that says "Dim MyData As DataObject" refers to a type of object that
isn't built into Word. To make it available, do this:

- Open the macro editor and double-click the module in the Normal.dotm template
that contains the AutoClose macro.

- Click the Tools menu (in the macro editor, not in Word itself) and choose
References.

- In the resulting dialog, scroll down the list to "Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object
Library" and click its check box to activate it.

- Save, then close the macro editor.

You should no longer get the error message, and the clipboard should
automatically be cleared -- no button or shortcut needed.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stephen stephen is offline

Hi,

I gave it a try and it works perfectly. Thank you so very much.

Take care,

Stephen

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stephen stephen is offline

Hi,

I'm sorry to bother you with this again, if you are still there. Some bug
seems to have happened and I lost all of my macros. Most of them were quite
simple and easy to replace except, of course, yours.

I went through the steps again and seem to be okay until the "Dim MyData As
DataObject" problem.

Now when I go to references, "Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object
Library" isn't there (if they are all in alphabetical order after the first
few items). It goes from "Microsoft Feeds 2.0 Object Library" to "Microsoft
FrontPage 6.0 Page Object Reference Library." I tried checking the "Feeds"
box but it didn't seem to help.

If you could tell me what I am doing wrong, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for all your help.

Stephen

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Are you sure it isn't one of the first few that precede the alphabetic list?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

If it turns out that it really isn't in the list at all, try (in the VBA
editor, with the same template project selected in the Projects pane)
clicking Insert UserForm. You don't actually need the userform, but it
should cause the Forms Object Library to load so the macro will work.
Leaving the empty userform there won't hurt anything.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stephen stephen is offline

Hi,

Once again, thank you so much. The userform thing did make the Forms Object
Library come up and it was already checked. And the macro works again.

Thanks again.

Stephen