Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeri Jeri is offline

Default srap documents

I have a problem and it really has me stumped.

One of my new transcriptionists sent her first file to me and I cant open
it. It appears in my incoming folder as €œscrap.€ At first I was able to
open it but it came up as a .txt file. The transcriptionist tried to open it
in her backup folder but could not.

I closed it and tried to get it to open with MS Word as a .doc file, but
then it came up in what I can only assume is some sort of machine language
and I cannot get it to open at all in anything other than that machine
language.

Are there any Word experts out there who know what is happening to this?
More importantly, does anyone know how to correct the problem? I tried
renaming it in a €œ*.doc €œ* format with no luck. I also tried opening in
€œ*.txt€ format and got the same results. Ive gone into the Tools Options
Save and it is set to save documenta as Word.doc format, and the

transcriptionist also shows that

On looking for the document on the Tx computer, she cannot find the file at
all, even in the €œscrap€ format.

So HELP! please if you can!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Yandl Steve Yandl is offline

Jeri,

Place the scrap on your desktop. Open up Word and set the size and position
of the Word application window so that you're able to see the icon for the
scrap on the desktop. Use your mouse cursor and drag the scrap into your
blank new document and drop it there.

If for some reason, that doesn't work, the command line to open a shell
scrap is
rundll32 %SystemRoot%\system32\shscrap.dll,OpenScrap_RunDLL %1
where the %1 represents the path and file name to the scrap file.

There are some security issues surrounding scrap files but I think most
people don't use them because most are not aware of what they are. To make
a new scrap, select some text in a Word document and simply drag the
selection to an open area of your desktop. In the menu that appears, one
option will be to create a scrap at that location. Windows Explorer will
not allow you to see the extension but it is SHS.

Steve

"Jeri" wrote in message
I have a problem and it really has me stumped.

One of my new transcriptionists sent her first file to me and I can't open
it. It appears in my incoming folder as "scrap." At first I was able to
open it but it came up as a .txt file. The transcriptionist tried to open
it
in her backup folder but could not.

I closed it and tried to get it to open with MS Word as a .doc file, but
then it came up in what I can only assume is some sort of machine language
and I cannot get it to open at all in anything other than that machine
language.

Are there any Word experts out there who know what is happening to this?
More importantly, does anyone know how to correct the problem? I tried
renaming it in a "*.doc "* format with no luck. I also tried opening in
"*.txt" format and got the same results. I've gone into the Tools
Save and it is set to save documenta as Word.doc format, and the

transcriptionist also shows that

On looking for the document on the Tx computer, she cannot find the file
at
all, even in the "scrap" format.

So HELP! please if you can!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeri Jeri is offline

You, kind sir, are an absolute miracle worker! I did just what you said and
it did the job beautifully. You have my gratitude for taking the time and
the trouble to solve this problem for us.

Salutations and Kudos!!

Jeri