Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
andy26

Default Help need with numbered styles

I've read about every article I can find on Word numbering but I still can't
seem to achieve what I need. I would be grateful for any help. This has been
driving me crazy all week!
This is what I need to create:
1.Heading level 1
1 List entry 1
2 List entry 2
2.Heading level 1
1 List entry 1
2 List entry 2
2.1.Heading level 2
1 List entry 1
2 List entry 2
etc
where list entry is a style (or set of styles?) and the headings are using
the built-in styles.
What I don't seem to be able to do is convince the list numbering to restart
after a heading.
I need the restart to be in the style as I'm using this template in a
automated document production process.
Any ideas?

Many Thanks,
Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
andy26

Read that a few days ago. Helped me understand the basics of setting up
outline numbering for headings. I tried to follow the same prinicple for my
lists but it didn't address the restart issue.

"andy26" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

Note that numbering restarts are based on list levels. In other words,
if you want the numbering of a certain style to restart after another
style, both of the styles must be linked to levels of the same list.

Add styles to a numbering scheme as described at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html, and
then choose the desired restart option in the Customize Outline
Numbered List dialog box.

For example, if you want your second level numbering to restart after
the first level, specify "Level 1" in the "Restart numbering after"
box. (In the dialog box, you may have to press the More button to see
the "Restart numbering after" option.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you read
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...umbering.html?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"andy26" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
andy26

Thanks for your suggestion, but I've already tried this. I set up outline
numbering for the built in headings as per shaunakelly instructions. Thats
fine. I then create a 'new list' style for my list items. In the customise
box I associate the 'heading 1' style with level one and my 'new list' style
to level 2 and I chose to restart numbering after level 1. When I go back to
my document the list numbering is still continuous. If I now go back and
check the list scheme again, if find word has automatically removed the
association of 'heading 1' with level 1 and replaced it with either 'no
style' or my 'new list' style!
How can word make such a straight forward feature so complicated!?!

"andy26" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
andy26

Yep. After reading various articles in this forum I have made all changes by
modifying the styles directly. Is there any way I can post an example file
to this thread?

"andy26" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You don't modify the "styles" directly. You must go in through the Heading 1
style and then modify the numbering of the lower levels from that point.
This ensures that all the styles stay part of the same list.

"andy26" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
andy26

Apologies, poor choice of words. What I meant was that I go to the heading 1
style and modifynumberingcustomise rather than using the buttons on the
toolbar etc.
My heading numbering is working fine, the problem is getting my text
numbering to restart after a heading.

BTW Thanks very much for responding to this thread you support is greatly
appreciated.
Andrew