Anita

Default Style problem

When I save a style that has the highlighter pen formatting, it doesn't save
the highlighter pen as part of the style. Why is this?

Version 2000.

Thanks

Anita
Stefan Blom

My guess is as follows. A paragraph style indicates whether a
paragraph is "ordinary" text, a numbered item, or a heading. In other
words, it indicates document structure. Unlike styles, highlighting
focuses on contents, that is, on the actual text typed in a document.
Therefore it wouldn't make sense if applying a style could change the
highlighter status of the text.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Anita" wrote in message
When I save a style that has the highlighter pen formatting, it

doesn't save
the highlighter pen as part of the style. Why is this?

Version 2000.

Thanks

Anita

If you want to create a *character* (not paragraph) style that includes
highlighter-type formatting, use Format | Borders and Shading to apply a
shading color to Text, then create your style based on that. (You can apply
shading to paragraphs as well, or create a paragraph style that includes
text shading, but I imagine that is not what you're trying to accomplish.)

"Anita" wrote in message
When I save a style that has the highlighter pen formatting, it doesn't

save
the highlighter pen as part of the style. Why is this?

Version 2000.

Thanks

Anita

Ann Scharpf

This is not quite correct. A paragraph style can also dictate all kinds of
font formatting. I believe the reason the style will not retain the
highlighting attribute is that highlighting is not a feature that is
controlled by the Format Font dialog box. Any font attributes in that
dialog WILL "stick" with the style.

"Anita" wrote in message
When I save a style that has the highlighter pen formatting, it

doesn't save
the highlighter pen as part of the style. Why is this?

Version 2000.

Thanks

Anita

Stefan Blom

I never claimed that paragraph styles only store paragraph formatting.
Of course they store font formatting, too. And, clearly, highlighting
doesn't fall into either of these formatting categories, since it
cannot be stored in a character or paragraph style. The question,
asked by the OP, is: "Why is this?".

A possible answer is that highlighting is used to indicate to
reviewers what they should look at in a document. The focus is on the
highlighted text itself, not on its (visual) format. Therefore, it
makes sense that highlighting is not a text attribute, and that it is
not affected by style changes. It should only be applied or removed
when you explicitly choose to do so.

As Suzanne points out, there is an attribute, namely shading, that is
similar to highlighting. Shading is indeed an attribute of text,
comparable to bold or italic, and you *can* store it in a character or
paragraph style.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP