Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee Weinreich

Default Back and Forward Jump List

In Office 2003 XP Professional I can jump back and forth between different
locations in Word documents or Excel spreadsheet using hyperlinks or the back
and forward buttons multiple times without closing the opened file. In
Microsoft Office Home, the first time I hyperlink to a bookmark in a file,
the back arrow will take me back. The second time I hyperlink to the second
document to a different bookmark, the back button is inactive.

Is the Home Edition anemic or do I have additional settings to make?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Hi Lee:

The home and Professional versions are identical, so that's not the problem.
When I say "identical", you get extra applications in the Professional
version, but the applications you get in the Home version are identical to
the applications in the professional version.

The "Back" button refers to "The previous document", not the "previous
hyperlink". So if you are always working within a single file, there is no
"previous document" for the Back button to trap.

However, you problem may be as simple as not Saving the document after
inserting the hyperlink. Until you save, the hyperlink is not fully formed.

Try that.

Cheers

On 27/4/06 2:52 PM, in article
, "Lee Weinreich"
wrote:

In Office 2003 XP Professional I can jump back and forth between different
locations in Word documents or Excel spreadsheet using hyperlinks or the back
and forward buttons multiple times without closing the opened file. In
Microsoft Office Home, the first time I hyperlink to a bookmark in a file,
the back arrow will take me back. The second time I hyperlink to the second
document to a different bookmark, the back button is inactive.

Is the Home Edition anemic or do I have additional settings to make?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee Weinreich

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Perhaps some background will help
explain a bit more. I created a sample folder called Property on my C drive.
In this folder, I created 3 folders called DABRs, Development and Use Cases.
In the Use Case folder I created a Word document called Get Data. I have
four lines of text, basically the same with the words First, Second and Third
as links. First and Third reference the Links Word document in the
Development folder. Second references the cell A3 in the Excel file "Second"
and the Get Data spreadsheet within that file at A3.

Since I have created thousands of these at work, I fully expected it to work
on my PC at home which languishes from lack of use. But here is what happens.

I open up the Word Document Get Data in the Use Case folder. I click on the
First link which opens up at the bookmark First in the Links Word document in
the Development folder. I use the back arrow to jump back to the Get Data
document. I use the Second link to open the Get Data spreadsheet in the
Second Excel file at A3. I use the back arrow to jump back to the Get Data
document in Use Cases. I now use the Third link to just to book mark Third
in the Links Word Document in the Development folder. Word has now lost the
return address for the back arrow AND it did not position the cursor at the
Third bookmark in the Links document.

The hyperlink base used in the Get Data Word document in the Use Case folder
is "c:\Property\Dummy\". It doesn't matter that I use Dummy. I do this so
Word will resolve references to bookmarks within the same path as the
hyperlink base. This is an open problem I turned in through my company which
Microsoft now has and hopefully is working on.

Still, my problem is the links are not working when I link into an open
document the second or subsequent time. I recently upgraded to the Service
Pack on the web.

What am I missing?