Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Geoffrey Geoffrey is offline

Default How do I remove Widow and Orphan control?

In the Line and Page Break box the Widow/Orphan contol comes ticked as the
default position. Surely there should be two boxes? One for widows, another
for orphans, so that if neither are wanted both could have the tick deleted.
Removing the tick at present does not reset the default position. If you are
writing text, for example a novel, you need the same number of lines on every
page. Although the idea behind Widow and Orphans is a smart one, and has its
place in report writing where paragraphs need to be kept intact, it is
extremely irritating for any other appplication. If you are using double
spacing and a bottom line is dropped, two sometimes , it looks as if half
the page is blank. So how do I remove Widow and Orphan control?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BottomLine.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Geoffrey wrote:
In the Line and Page Break box the Widow/Orphan contol comes ticked
as the default position. Surely there should be two boxes? One for
widows, another for orphans, so that if neither are wanted both could
have the tick deleted. Removing the tick at present does not reset
the default position. If you are writing text, for example a novel,
you need the same number of lines on every page. Although the idea
behind Widow and Orphans is a smart one, and has its place in report
writing where paragraphs need to be kept intact, it is extremely
irritating for any other appplication. If you are using double
spacing and a bottom line is dropped, two sometimes , it looks as if
half the page is blank. So how do I remove Widow and Orphan control?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You clear the tick box. If you don't want it enabled for any style, clear it
for Normal style, and it should be cleared for all the styles based on
Normal (which is most of them). If you want this to apply to all new
documents, clear it in Normal style and check the box for "Save to
template."

http://word.mvps.org