Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JCM

Default Centre a picture when first line of para is indented

I am working with justified text. How do I centre a picture when the first
line of the paragraphs are indented. They will only centre to the first line.
I have tried to move the anchors but they will only adhere to the indented
lines.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Anne Troy

Judging from the questions you're asking, you may want to format your
pictures as Inline with text.
It also sounds, in this question, like you've got indents on your
paragraphs. I would create a style for my graphics and NOT indent the
paragraph.
http://www.officearticles.com/tutori...oft_word.ht m
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"JCM" wrote in message
I am working with justified text. How do I centre a picture when the first
line of the paragraphs are indented. They will only centre to the first
line.
I have tried to move the anchors but they will only adhere to the indented
lines.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JCM

No I can't, I've got loads of them. I'd have to scrap all the text!
Are you suggesting there is no other way?

"JCM" wrote in message
I am working with justified text. How do I centre a picture when the first
line of the paragraphs are indented. They will only centre to the first

line.
I have tried to move the anchors but they will only adhere to the indented
lines.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JCM

Thank you. The pictures are Inline and I have to indent the first line
because that is how one does it in a book. Are you suggesting there is no
other way.

"JCM" wrote in message
I am working with justified text. How do I centre a picture when the first
line of the paragraphs are indented. They will only centre to the first
line.
I have tried to move the anchors but they will only adhere to the indented
lines.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Anne Troy

JCM: I suspect you're not "hearing" us. Create a style for your graphics.
This is the EASIEST way and painless!
http://www.officearticles.com/word/c...osoft_word.htm
Call it "graphic". Make sure that style has 0" left and right indent on the
paragraph, etc. (I also like to put 12 pts before and after, and I like to
use keep with next so my graphic sticks with the caption that follows it).
Then, click the first graphic and apply the style to it. Then, click each
graphic and hit F4 (repeats the last command, in this case applying the
style "graphic" to your graphic). Even if there's 100 graphics in your file,
it should only take a few minutes to do it. Otherwise, you'll need to get a
macro to do it, and that'd probably take you another day of waiting.
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Put your picture in a paragraph that does not have a first-line indent.

so
all may benefit.

"JCM" wrote in message
I am working with justified text. How do I centre a picture when the
first
line of the paragraphs are indented. They will only centre to the first

line.
I have tried to move the anchors but they will only adhere to the
indented
lines.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jack

Paragraph indention does depend on the book.

You can format the pictures with an absolute location. That would involve
editing the format of every picture in your document and it sounds like you
have lots of them. This can get time consuming.

If you always have the pictures in their own paragraph, which I'm assuming
you do, then Anne's suggestion of a separate style for these paragraphs is
the best option. Your text paragraphs will continue to use the style you have
them in (probably the normal style) and they will continue to first indent as
your book layout requires.

In the styles pane or dialog box (depending on your version of Word), add a
new style. Give it a descriptive name like "Graphic" or "Image."

Apply this style to the paragraph with the first image in your document.
Adjust the paragraph formating until you get the image where you need. I
recommend No special indent and Center justification.

When the picture is where you like it, there is an option with your styles
(it is different between having the Styles Pane and not.) that allows you to
update the style definition with the formatting of the current paragraph.

Once that is done, go to all of the paragraphs with the pictures and apply
the new style to them.

Later if you change your mind about the formatting for this paragraph (say
you want to add 12 pt leading after the paragraph), you make the change to
the style and all of the paragraphs with this style are automatically updated.
--
Jack Rumple