Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jan Il Jan Il is offline

Default Show comments in balloons and no mark up or review pane

Hi All, Vista and Office 2007

I am running into problems with the reviewing toolbar, specifically, I cannot get a version of a document that will show comments, but, not final mark up. If I try to add a comment it automatically opens a reviewing pane which I don't want. I want to be able to send my writer a corrected version that shows my comments (notes) in balloons, but, it doesn't show all the changes, and I also want that version on my screen which I can't get unless I brought it to the newer computer this way, (from my old computer). However, a doc that has been emailed to me and I am correcting on the new computer, I can't get comments without showing mark up. The document being emailed to me is in 2003 format. How can I set it in 2007 so that I can show the comments in the balloons and not have the review pane or mark up?

Jan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the Track Changes Options dialog box, for "Use Balloons (Print and Web
Layout only)," choose "Only for comments/formatting." Click OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jan Il" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That will cause the editing to appear inline. To print (to paper or
pdf) a document where the comments show but not the markup, under
"Show Markup" uncheck "Insertions and Deletions" and "Formatting."

"Jan Il" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Good point, but note that the choices made under Show Markup won't be
preserved, unless the "Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving"
option has been cleared in the Trust Center dialog box. This also applies to
any recipients, of course: if they haven't cleared the option, they will
still see the markup when receiving the document.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jan Il" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

You can get this to work for you. (Set insertion markup to none, deletion
markup to hidden, and balloons to comments and formatting only. Also clear
the check box next to "track formatting".)

But note that track changes options are user preferences and that documents
you send to others will not carry your settings. If your authors really
don't want to see the changes (it always amazes me that so many do not), send
along instructions for changing the markup settings, or send a copy of the
file with all changes accepted.

Pam

Jan Il wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I believe the *display* options are user-specific. However, the "Track
formatting" and "Track moves" options seem to be saved with the document,
which should be helpful in this case.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Jan Il wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Thanks, I didn't know about track moves (Nearly all my work is still in the
compatibility mode where track moves is not used) and forgot about track
formatting.

Pam

Stefan Blom wrote:
I believe the *display* options are user-specific. However, the "Track
formatting" and "Track moves" options seem to be saved with the document,
which should be helpful in this case.

You can get this to work for you. (Set insertion markup to none, deletion
markup to hidden, and balloons to comments and formatting only. Also clear

[quoted text clipped - 27 lines]

Jan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jan Il Jan Il is offline

Thanks you everyone for your time and help, I truly appreciate it. I will try all the suggestions and see how the will work for my needs. :-)

Jan

"Jan Il" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, thanks to you too! I wasn't sure what the OP was trying to accomplish,
and you clarified it for me. Whether the OP is happy with the answers,
remains to be seen, of course. :-)

--

Stefan Blom wrote:
I believe the *display* options are user-specific. However, the "Track
formatting" and "Track moves" options seem to be saved with the document,
which should be helpful in this case.

You can get this to work for you. (Set insertion markup to none,
deletion
markup to hidden, and balloons to comments and formatting only. Also
clear

[quoted text clipped - 27 lines]

Jan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jan Il Jan Il is offline

I am happy to have some place to start, and I believe all the replies here will help me with most if not all my issues. :-)

Is there any way to prevent the Review pane from popping on unless I click the Review pane tab on the Ribbon? I don't really need that to come up unless I want it. It seems to have a mind of it's own.

Jan

Stefan Blom wrote:
I believe the *display* options are user-specific. However, the "Track
formatting" and "Track moves" options seem to be saved with the document,
which should be helpful in this case.

You can get this to work for you. (Set insertion markup to none,
deletion
markup to hidden, and balloons to comments and formatting only. Also
clear
[quoted text clipped - 27 lines]

Jan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you turn off the display of comment balloons completely, the Reviewing
pane will show up at times, for example when you insert a comment.

To prevent the pane from showing, click Ballons on the Review tab, and then
choose Show Only Comments and Formatting in Balloons or Show Revisions in
Balloons.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Stefan Blom wrote:
I believe the *display* options are user-specific. However, the "Track
formatting" and "Track moves" options seem to be saved with the document,
which should be helpful in this case.

You can get this to work for you. (Set insertion markup to none,
deletion
markup to hidden, and balloons to comments and formatting only. Also
clear
[quoted text clipped - 27 lines]

Jan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Ink" refers to ink annotations, which are hand-written notes added by a
tablet pen.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jan Il" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

'Track Moves" is just awful. (1) It only works on complete
"sentences" (as Word defines "sentence") or bigger; (2) it doesn't
work on text of any length that contains Tracked Changes; (3) it can't
be Rejected with Reject Change (I didn't try Accepting, but if _that_
doesn't work, it would be utterly useless); (4) you can't make Tracked
Changes in a Moved passage.

(Track Formatting is just annoying. It insists on using balloons, so
even if you _want_ to record a style change or a font change, it uses
up space that the Comments need. And turning it off, even in the
normal.dotm template, doesn't stick.)

Stefan Blom wrote:
I believe the *display* options are user-specific. However, the "Track
formatting" and "Track moves" options seem to be saved with the document,
which should be helpful in this case.

You can get this to work for you. *(Set insertion markup to none, deletion
markup to hidden, and balloons to comments and formatting only. Also clear

[quoted text clipped - 27 lines]

Jan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

I'm sorry to hear that track moves is not pleasing you. I've been looking
forward to using it.

About track formatting (one of the quickest ways to make me see red is to
have them show up in my editing files). In my experience, changing normal.
dotm does "stick" for new documents based on normal. Older documents have to
be changed manually. As far as I recall, once the older doc's setting has
been changed and the doc saved , it sticks for that document.

But since this isn't working for you, I hope you have a macro to accept the
formatting changes.

Pam

On Oct 10, 1:45Â*pm, "Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" u43222@uwe
wrote:
Thanks, I didn't know about track moves (Nearly all my work is still in the
compatibility mode where track moves is not used) Â*and forgot about track

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Exactly.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jan Il" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I haven't tested "Track moves," but I can confirm that "Track formatting"
isn't 100% reliable. It seems as if Word tracks the creation and
modification of styles, even if you turn off "Track formatting" in the Track
Changes Options dialog box. :-(

--

Stefan Blom wrote:
I believe the *display* options are user-specific. However, the "Track
formatting" and "Track moves" options seem to be saved with the document,
which should be helpful in this case.

You can get this to work for you. (Set insertion markup to none,
deletion
markup to hidden, and balloons to comments and formatting only. Also
clear

[quoted text clipped - 27 lines]

Jan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Hi, Stefan, as far as I can tell, "Track formatting" in the track changes
options dialog refers only to tracking formatting for the purpose of showing
the markup. And as I described in my earlier posting, I have gotten that
setting to stick. It was very frustrating when I couldn't get it to stick.
I was just on the point of giving up and asking for help when I decided to
try modifying normal.dotm. It works.

My goal has been to _not_ see formatting changes in balloons. For Word
2002&3, I recorded a macro that would accept formatting changes and used it
a dozen times a day. I still use it to get rid of formatting balloons in my
old docs and in new that come to me. How nice it is that I don't have to do
use that macro so often anymore.

As for the Word options keep track of formatting, I've never noticed my
setting not sticking. In W2003, I switched back and forth all the time,
depending on whether my job was to clean up or troubleshoot a doc or to
format or edit it. W2007 has better options for what shows up in the styles
pane, so I leave keep track of formatting on most of the time.

Pam

wrote:
Thanks, I didn't know about track moves (Nearly all my work is still in
the

[quoted text clipped - 19 lines]
Message posted via
OfficeKB.comhttp://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/word-docmanagement/200910/1

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Pam,

As we have both stated in earlier messages, "Track formatting" (as well as
"Track moves") is document-specific, which means that if you change your
template you will have the setting turned off (or on, if that is what you
prefer) for all new documents created from that template.

My point was that I have seen style modifications being indicated (in
balloons and/or in the Reviewing pane) even if I keep "Track formatting"
turned off. However, I just tested this in a new, blank document and I don't
seem to able to reproduce the issue anymore. Perhaps I made a mistake the
last time I tested it.

--

wrote:
Thanks, I didn't know about track moves (Nearly all my work is still in
the

[quoted text clipped - 19 lines]
Message posted via
OfficeKB.comhttp://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/word-docmanagement/200910/1

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

You, mistake? Nahhhhh. The problem I had before changing normal.dotm was
that the change did not stick in a document. It would be there throughout a
Word session, but be gone after I started a new Word session. At least, I
think that's what I noticed. It's been a while.

And I did think you were talking about keep track of formatting in Word
options instead of track formatting in track changes options. Thanks for
clarifying that for me.

Pam

Stefan Blom wrote:
Pam,

As we have both stated in earlier messages, "Track formatting" (as well as
"Track moves") is document-specific, which means that if you change your
template you will have the setting turned off (or on, if that is what you
prefer) for all new documents created from that template.

My point was that I have seen style modifications being indicated (in
balloons and/or in the Reviewing pane) even if I keep "Track formatting"
turned off. However, I just tested this in a new, blank document and I don't
seem to able to reproduce the issue anymore. Perhaps I made a mistake the
last time I tested it.

Hi, Stefan, as far as I can tell, "Track formatting" in the track changes
options dialog refers only to tracking formatting for the purpose of

[quoted text clipped - 48 lines]
Message posted via
OfficeKB.comhttp://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/word-docmanagement/200910/1

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" u43222@uwe wrote in message
You, mistake? Nahhhhh.

:-)

The problem I had before changing normal.dotm
was
that the change did not stick in a document. It would be there throughout
Word session, but be gone after I started a new Word session. At least, I
think that's what I noticed. It's been a while.

And I did think you were talking about keep track of formatting in Word
options instead of track formatting in track changes options. Thanks for
clarifying that for me.

Well, I have been trying to discuss two different things he what is being
tracked and what is being displayed.

For example, you can choose not to track formatting (in the Track Changes
Options dialog box), a setting which can be saved in documents and
templates.

Also, you can choose what to display (via the Show Markup button in the
Tracking group of the Review tab); the selections in that list can be saved
with the document but they will be ignored unless everyone opening the
document has cleared the "Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving"
option in the Trust Center dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Pam

Stefan Blom wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

_That's_ (the second one) what I was talking about.

On Oct 11, 2:56*pm, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
"Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" u43222@uwe wrote in messagenews:9d7194e6fd7c3@uwe...

You, mistake? Nahhhhh.

:-)

Stefan Blom wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Hi, Stefan,

Yes, I tried turning off the display of formatting in W2002&3. It did not
work for me; that is, certain actions would turn the formatting balloons back
on while I was working in the file. I don't remember what those actions (or
possibly accumulations of actions) were; it was 5 or 6 years ago. But that's
why I resorted to a macro that changes the markup view to just formatting,
deletes all markup shown, and then changes the markup view back to the
default.

Peter, I haven't tried turning off the display of formatting in W2007 as a
way to avoid seeing formatting in balloons, and won't be, as I'd rather Word
just stopped collecting that markup and because the way to make it stick is,
to me, an unacceptable security compromise.

Regards,
Pam

Stefan Blom wrote:

Also, you can choose what to display (via the Show Markup button in the
Tracking group of the Review tab); the selections in that list can be saved
with the document but they will be ignored unless everyone opening the
document has cleared the "Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving"
option in the Trust Center dialog box.

Pam

[quoted text clipped - 18 lines]
Message posted via
OfficeKB.comhttp://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/word-docmanagement/200910/1

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The first time a formatting balloon shows up is the reminder to me to
turn off Keep Track of Fromatting under the Track Changes Options.
I'll try setting _that_ one in the template -- though since it doesn't
stick from session to session in the same document, why should it
stick there?

Stefan Blom wrote:
Also, you can choose what to display (via the Show Markup button in the
Tracking group of the Review tab); the selections in that list can be saved
with the document but they will be ignored unless everyone opening the
document has cleared the "Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving"
option in the Trust Center dialog box.

Pam

[quoted text clipped - 18 lines]
Message posted via
OfficeKB.comhttp://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/word-docmanagement/200910/1

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jan Il Jan Il is offline

Thanks, everyone, for you help and suggestions. They did the trick and all is working as I need now. :-)

Jan

"Jan Il" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm glad you got it sorted.