Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter Peter is offline

Default Harvard Referencing

What is the easiest way to use Harvard Referencing in Word.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Depends on whether you know what Harvard referencing is, and
whether you have 10 references or 1,000 references.

peter wrote:

What is the easiest way to use Harvard Referencing in Word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter Peter is offline

We have just been shown at college how to use it and i will probably have no
more than between 50-100, from a range of sources such as books, journals and
the internet. just wondered if there was an easy way to keep track as i was
going along rather than trying to add them all when i finished, which could
be several weeks later.

peter wrote:

What is the easiest way to use Harvard Referencing in Word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word doesn't really have any built-in support for the Harvard
style of references. There are some good third-party
bibliography programs such as Endnote, Reference Manager, and
ProCite that support this function within Word, but they are
somewhat expensive and have a somewhat steep learning curve. In
my humble opinion, they don't save you *that* much time when
you're dealing with only 50-100 references, even if you are
proficient with the software. If I were you, I would just create
a blank page at the end of your paper and start listing cited
references alphabetically there. By the time you're done, the
references list might be 6 or 7 pages long, but that's not so
hard to navigate through to add/edit/delete references.

peter wrote:

What is the easiest way to use Harvard Referencing in Word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter Peter is offline

Ok, thanks. was hoping for some hidden feature that would take the hassle
away. will just have to get stuck in and do it. Thanks for the help.

peter wrote:

What is the easiest way to use Harvard Referencing in Word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Malvasia Malvasia is offline

Dear Garfield,
thx for clarifying that the most common reference system (Harvard) is NOT
provided for, do you know by any chance whether any university or any good
soul has written some addin that one could download?

THANK YOU

peter wrote:

What is the easiest way to use Harvard Referencing in Word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

peter wrote:

What is the easiest way to use Harvard Referencing in Word.

You could try the Harvard style I wrote a couple of weeks ago. I had
some issues finding consistent citing for the Harvard style so it
might not be exactly what you want but with a little xml knowledge you
might be able to tweak it to your personal preferences. The most
complete one is based on the Leeds university guidelines (hence the
name Harvard Leeds). You can find it at
http://www.codeplex.com/bibliography...eleaseId=15852

HTH

Yves
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Malvasia Malvasia is offline

THX YVES, for all your work, Leeds Harvard should do! You save a lot of UK
students quite some work!!!!!!

THANK YOU

peter wrote:

What is the easiest way to use Harvard Referencing in Word.

You could try the Harvard style I wrote a couple of weeks ago. I had
some issues finding consistent citing for the Harvard style so it
might not be exactly what you want but with a little xml knowledge you
might be able to tweak it to your personal preferences. The most
complete one is based on the Leeds university guidelines (hence the
name Harvard Leeds). You can find it at
http://www.codeplex.com/bibliography...eleaseId=15852

HTH

Yves

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

American editors/publishers do not know a style called "Harvard
style." What reference manual do you consult for the details?

peter wrote:

What is the easiest way to use Harvard Referencing in Word.

You could try the Harvard style I wrote a couple of weeks ago. I had
some issues finding consistent citing for the Harvard style so it
might not be exactly what you want but with a little xml knowledge you
might be able to tweak it to your personal preferences. The most
complete one is based on the Leeds university guidelines (hence the
name Harvard Leeds). You can find it at
http://www.codeplex.com/bibliography...eases.aspx?Rel...

HTH

Yves

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Not sure what the question is ... with the Word2007 bibliography tool,
the only way to get any flexibility is by plunging into XML
programming, which Yves = p0 will assure you is perfectly simple.

If you simply ignore the bibliography tool, which isn't ready for
serious use by scholars, you do indeed create a reference in a
document by typing it. (And then you can copy/paste or drag'n'drop it
ad infinitum, which might even be easier than using a bibliography
tool, if you pretty much only ever use a single style.)

peter wrote:

What is the easiest way to use Harvard Referencing in Word.

You could try the Harvard style I wrote a couple of weeks ago. I had
some issues finding consistent citing for the Harvard style so it
might not be exactly what you want but with a little xml knowledge you
might be able to tweak it to your personal preferences. The most
complete one is based on the Leeds university guidelines (hence the
name Harvard Leeds). You can find it at
http://www.codeplex.com/bibliography...eases.aspx?Rel...

HTH

Yves-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

On 28 sep, 04:25, Tboff wrote:
can you create a reference from just typing the reference in a particular way?

Not directly from within Word.

The "normal" solution is to add the input through the GUI. If you
don't like the order of the elements in the input form, you can change
it to fit your needs. You can even extend the number of elements for
each type (although styles might not now how to handle those new
fields).

Alternatively, you can add a source programmatically.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb676880.aspx contains an
example on how to do so. But even here you have to follow some
specified XML format. Unless you wrote some kind of converter between
your format and the XML format (which is going to be extremely hard in
my opinion), your best option is using the original input form.

Yves
--
http://www.codeplex.com/bibliography