Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

Default Relative cells number in Word?

I have a table of work and costs:

Hours Activity
10.1 Case setup
3.5 Consultation
2.0 Report
15.6 Total hours
$1,248.00 Cost

I can easily get the total hours by putting a =sum(above) formula in
that cell. If I add or delete rows, F9 will update the sum.

Is there any way for me to enter a formula that will calculate the
cost where the cost = total hours * $80 (or some hourly rate) that
will continue to work after I add or delete rows? I tried entering the
formula "=A5*80". That works until I add or delete rows.

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Instead of referring to Cell A5, Bookmark the Total Hours result and then
Cross Ref the Bookmark for the calculation. But really, this is a job for
Excel rather than Word.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
I have a table of work and costs:

Hours Activity
10.1 Case setup
3.5 Consultation
2.0 Report
15.6 Total hours
$1,248.00 Cost

I can easily get the total hours by putting a =sum(above) formula in
that cell. If I add or delete rows, F9 will update the sum.

Is there any way for me to enter a formula that will calculate the
cost where the cost = total hours * $80 (or some hourly rate) that
will continue to work after I add or delete rows? I tried entering the
formula "=A5*80". That works until I add or delete rows.

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 22:21:39 -0000, "Terry Farrell"
wrote:

Instead of referring to Cell A5, Bookmark the Total Hours result and then
Cross Ref the Bookmark for the calculation. But really, this is a job for
Excel rather than Word.

Yeah, I know. I was just hoping that I could do a simple
multiplication without having to import an Excel table.

I have had so many problems with bookmarks, but I'll give it a try.

Thanks

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod macropod is offline

Hi,

To see how to do relative referencing in Word, check out my Word Field Maths 'tutorial', at:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=365442

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"LurfysMa" wrote in message ...
| I have a table of work and costs:
|
| Hours Activity
| 10.1 Case setup
| 3.5 Consultation
| 2.0 Report
| 15.6 Total hours
| $1,248.00 Cost
|
| I can easily get the total hours by putting a =sum(above) formula in
| that cell. If I add or delete rows, F9 will update the sum.
|
| Is there any way for me to enter a formula that will calculate the
| cost where the cost = total hours * $80 (or some hourly rate) that
| will continue to work after I add or delete rows? I tried entering the
| formula "=A5*80". That works until I add or delete rows.
|

| --
| Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:43:35 +1100, "macropod"
wrote:

Hi,

To see how to do relative referencing in Word, check out my Word Field Maths 'tutorial', at:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=365442

Now that is an amazing piece of work. How long did it take you to work
all that out? I'm not sure I can make it work even after you did all
the hard work! ;-)

Thanks

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod macropod is offline

Thanks for the feedback. It took quite a while to work out how to do that.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]