Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Linda S. Linda S. is offline

Default Is AutoComplete feature for AutoText Entry available in Word2007?

We miss the AUTO COMPLETE feature to insert an Auto Text entry that was
available in Word 2003, but we have not found how to activate it (if it is
available) in Word 2007.

We have found Quick Parts not as user friendly as the old Auto Text.

Any tips?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?TGluZGEgUy4=?=,

We miss the AUTO COMPLETE feature to insert an Auto Text entry that was
available in Word 2003, but we have not found how to activate it (if it is
available) in Word 2007.

It is not. Unfortunately.

You can go back to the way Word used to work, before AutoComplete was
introduced. Type the *name* of the AutoText entry, then press F3.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BoniM BoniM is offline

If your autotext entry is 256 characters or less, you can add it to the
autocorrect list and have it work sorta like it used to in autotext.
Select - Office button, word options, proofing, autocorrect options and
enter replace and with text... If you have text selected before you open
autocorrect options, it will already be listed in the With: box for you, then
you just need to enter a code in the replace text box. Make sure your code
isn't a real word! Everytime you type it, Word will then automatically
'correct' it for you!

"Linda S." wrote:

We miss the AUTO COMPLETE feature to insert an Auto Text entry that was
available in Word 2003, but we have not found how to activate it (if it is
available) in Word 2007.

We have found Quick Parts not as user friendly as the old Auto Text.

Any tips?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

You can go back to the way Word used to work, before AutoComplete was
introduced. Type the *name* of the AutoText entry, then press F3.

You don't actually need to type the whole name - just enough of it to
uniquely identify it.

--
Enjoy,

Tony Jollans
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laura K Laura K is offline

I agree. Transcriptionists all over the world must be cussing right along
with me! I transcribe letters for doctors who repeat the same phrases over
and over. The autocomplete feature in autotext was such a time saver. The
autotext feature in 2007 does not work well for many of my entries, such as
physician addresses and the building blocks are impossible to insert on the
fly. I have to stop typing, go to Quick Parts, go to the Builing Blocks
Organizer, find the building block and then click insert. With autocomplete,
I would be able to start typing the text, it would pop up, I would hit enter
and keep on typing. While I understand what Microsoft was trying to do with
the building blocks, they really dropped the ball by omitting the
autocomplete feature as it was in 2003. My work is taking twice as long now.

"Linda S." wrote:

We miss the AUTO COMPLETE feature to insert an Auto Text entry that was
available in Word 2003, but we have not found how to activate it (if it is
available) in Word 2007.

We have found Quick Parts not as user friendly as the old Auto Text.

Any tips?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

This might be useful:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Word2007_B...&_AutoText.htm

"Linda S." wrote:

We miss the AUTO COMPLETE feature to insert an Auto Text entry that
was available in Word 2003, but we have not found how to activate it
(if it is available) in Word 2007.

We have found Quick Parts not as user friendly as the old Auto Text.

Any tips?

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can still type the first few letters of the AutoText entry name and
press F3 (not requiring a trip to the BB Organizer).

http://word.mvps.org

"Linda S." wrote:

We miss the AUTO COMPLETE feature to insert an Auto Text entry that was
available in Word 2003, but we have not found how to activate it (if it
is
available) in Word 2007.

We have found Quick Parts not as user friendly as the old Auto Text.

Any tips?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laura K[_2_] Laura K[_2_] is offline

Default Is AutoComplete feature for AutoText Entry available in Word20

Thanks, Suzanne, but unfortunatley, F3 is the fast forward command for my
transcription system, so that won't work. Also, too many of my entries could
potentially have the same letters, such as myocardial infarction and
minimally invasive, "MI". That's why the autocorrect feature was such a
godsend. I could add many common phrases and be sure I was not mistakenly
adding one that was not correct.

"Linda S." wrote:

We miss the AUTO COMPLETE feature to insert an Auto Text entry that was
available in Word 2003, but we have not found how to activate it (if it
is
available) in Word 2007.

We have found Quick Parts not as user friendly as the old Auto Text.

Any tips?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

AutoCorrect still works exactly as before. It is only the behavior of
AutoText that has changed.

http://word.mvps.org

"Linda S." wrote:

We miss the AUTO COMPLETE feature to insert an Auto Text entry that
was
available in Word 2003, but we have not found how to activate it (if
it
is
available) in Word 2007.

We have found Quick Parts not as user friendly as the old Auto Text.

Any tips?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You can assign another shortcut key instead of F3. Click Office button Word
Options Customize, then click the keyboard Customize button in the lower left
of the dialog. Choose 'All Commands' in the Categories list, then choose
InsertAutoText in the Commands list. Click on F3 in the current keys list and
click the Remove button; then click in the "Press new shortcut key" box and
press whatever shortcut you want, and click the Assign key.

What you can't do, unfortunately, is force Word to restore the AutoComplete
tips. They're just not available.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Linda S." wrote:

We miss the AUTO COMPLETE feature to insert an Auto Text entry that was
available in Word 2003, but we have not found how to activate it (if it
is
available) in Word 2007.

We have found Quick Parts not as user friendly as the old Auto Text.

Any tips?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This sounds like something you should bring to the Word programmers'
attention by posting a query through the knowledge base or by commenting on a
Word team blog. Programmers are working now on the next major version of
Word.

I don't use either feature (auto correct or auto text) often and because I'm
a technical editor who can't afford to have things corrected incorrectly,
I've turned all but curly quotes off. But your comments have clarified the
differences for me.

PamC

Laura K wrote:
Thanks, Suzanne, but unfortunatley, F3 is the fast forward command for my
transcription system, so that won't work. Also, too many of my entries could
potentially have the same letters, such as myocardial infarction and
minimally invasive, "MI". That's why the autocorrect feature was such a
godsend. I could add many common phrases and be sure I was not mistakenly
adding one that was not correct.

You can still type the first few letters of the AutoText entry name and
press F3 (not requiring a trip to the BB Organizer).

[quoted text clipped - 26 lines]

Any tips?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

We've provided feedback on this topic prior to the release of Word 2007 and
after the release of Word 2007. We've provided the feedback numerous times.
Who knows if it did any good. :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton

"PamC via OfficeKB.com" u43222@uwe wrote in message
This sounds like something you should bring to the Word programmers'
attention by posting a query through the knowledge base or by commenting
on a
Word team blog. Programmers are working now on the next major version of
Word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Oh, I'm sure that you MVPs are on top of things. I was suggesting that the
Laura K contact MS to add her voice, particularly since she makes it so
clear that auto correct is not an acceptable substitute.
I recall reading that a time constraint or programming problem caused the
programmers to leave the functionality out and that they hoped at that time
to put it into the next version. Well priorities change, so little reminders
could help.

PamC

Beth Melton wrote:
We've provided feedback on this topic prior to the release of Word 2007 and
after the release of Word 2007. We've provided the feedback numerous times.
Who knows if it did any good. :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton

This sounds like something you should bring to the Word programmers'
attention by posting a query through the knowledge base or by commenting
on a
Word team blog. Programmers are working now on the next major version of
Word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I'm sure all feedback helps. :-)

FWIW it wasn't a time constraint. It was due to the possibility of misfires,
since they added a substantial number of Building Blocks, that they elected
to remove it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

Beth Melton wrote:
We've provided feedback on this topic prior to the release of Word 2007
and
after the release of Word 2007. We've provided the feedback numerous
times.
Who knows if it did any good. :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton

This sounds like something you should bring to the Word programmers'
attention by posting a query through the knowledge base or by commenting
on a
Word team blog. Programmers are working now on the next major version
of
Word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathy Kathy is offline

OK, I am totally confused! I just started using Word 2007. I have a
document that I have used for years as a log, and AutoComplete still works in
it. I can open a new Word document and it still works. I start typing in
the first 4 letters of the month, and I get an AutoComplete tip that says to
enter today's date, press Enter key.

We've installed it on a bunch of computers at work and some work while
others don't. I can't figure out what is making this happen.

"Linda S." wrote:

We miss the AUTO COMPLETE feature to insert an Auto Text entry that was
available in Word 2003, but we have not found how to activate it (if it
is
available) in Word 2007.

We have found Quick Parts not as user friendly as the old Auto Text.

Any tips?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Dates are the only thing for which AutoComplete is still available in Word
2007.

http://word.mvps.org

"Linda S." wrote:

We miss the AUTO COMPLETE feature to insert an Auto Text entry that
was
available in Word 2003, but we have not found how to activate it
(if it
is
available) in Word 2007.

We have found Quick Parts not as user friendly as the old Auto
Text.

Any tips?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It works _only_ for the date (they say).

Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org

"Linda S." wrote:

We miss the AUTO COMPLETE feature to insert an Auto Text entry that was
available in Word 2003, but we have not found how to activate it (if it
is
available) in Word 2007.

We have found Quick Parts not as user friendly as the old Auto Text.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If it is available on some 2007 equipped PCs and not others, then on those
that it doesn't work

1. Press Alt+F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor (VBE).

2. Press Ctrl+G to activate/open the Immediate window (bottom of VBE
window).

3. Enter the following (or copy from below and paste):

Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips = True

4. Press Return at the end of the line.

5. You can now close the VBE window (Alt+Q or File Close and Return to
Microsoft Word).

"Linda S." wrote:

We miss the AUTO COMPLETE feature to insert an Auto Text entry
that was available in Word 2003, but we have not found how to
activate it (if it is
available) in Word 2007.

We have found Quick Parts not as user friendly as the old Auto
Text.

Any tips?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathy Kathy is offline

I've tried that on one of the pcs and when I open VBE, it doesn't have
anything else but the Immediate pane. I put that statement in, closed VBE,
and then tried the date after closing Word 2007 and re-opening. It still
didn't AutoComplete. I can open my log on that pc and then it autocompletes,
but then I close it and it doesn't autocomplete.

On my machine, I open the log and it autocompletes. I close that log, and
try the date and it still autocompletes. When I open VBE on my machine, I
have 3 panes: One says Normal - Project. The second window has General and
then some macros I had done, and the third window is the Immediate.

If I go in and add the statement only putting False at the end on my window,
Auto-Complete stops working. I changed it back to True and it works again.

I don't know if there are any other settings that need to be checked for
this to work on. The pc it is not working on was installed with SMS Client
while my machine was loaded manually. Can that have anything to do with it?

"Linda S." wrote:

We miss the AUTO COMPLETE feature to insert an Auto Text entry
that was available in Word 2003, but we have not found how to
activate it (if it is
available) in Word 2007.

We have found Quick Parts not as user friendly as the old Auto
Text.

Any tips?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I have no idea why it isn't working. Something is clearly conflicting.
However, personally I find it so irritating that I have it turned off and
use a macro attached to a QAT button to insert ad hoc dates

Sub InsertUSFormatDate()
With Selection
.InsertDateTime DateTimeFormat:="MMMM" & Chr(160) & _
"d," & Chr(160) & "yyyy", InsertAsField:=False
End With
End Sub

Change the formatting switch to taste

"Linda S." wrote:

We miss the AUTO COMPLETE feature to insert an Auto Text entry
that was available in Word 2003, but we have not found how to
activate it (if it is
available) in Word 2007.

We have found Quick Parts not as user friendly as the old Auto
Text.

Any tips?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barbara Barbara is offline

Tell me what good that does when you are typing fast - you are being paid
for how fast you type, and you COUNT on the program - ie Word - to auto
complete 25 and 27 letter words for you (medical words) as it did in Word
2003. This has created a HUGE problem for me.

sure, start typing
phacoemulsification or otorhinolaryngology or some that are even worse.

This was a big oversight and I'm sorry I ever bought Word 2007.

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

You can go back to the way Word used to work, before AutoComplete was
introduced. Type the *name* of the AutoText entry, then press F3.

You don't actually need to type the whole name - just enough of it to
uniquely identify it.

--
Enjoy,

Tony Jollans
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barbara Barbara is offline

I did think of that. The problem is that I have literally thousands of
entries. I have the old normal.dot saved on a flash drive and was hoping
that I could convert it from Word 2003 to Word 2007. When I got my laptop,
it was very easy to move it from my PC to my laptop - both running Word 2003.

Who knew Microsoft would trash functionability in a new version of Word?
That is just crazy.

But thank you for your reply. If I do that it will take me weeks. What I
will probably end up doing is finding 3rd party software compatible with the
old normal.dot and Word 2007. It must exist.

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

You can go back to the way Word used to work, before AutoComplete
was introduced. Type the *name* of the AutoText entry, then press
F3.

You don't actually need to type the whole name - just enough of it to
uniquely identify it.

--
Enjoy,

Tony Jollans
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Or hold your breath. I believe I am allowed to say that AutoComplete for
AutoText will be restored in Word 2010.

http://word.mvps.org

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

You can go back to the way Word used to work, before AutoComplete
was introduced. Type the *name* of the AutoText entry, then press
F3.

You don't actually need to type the whole name - just enough of it to
uniquely identify it.

--
Enjoy,

Tony Jollans
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl Flanders Cheryl Flanders is offline

I have been a transcriptionist for many, many years and have never
relied on AutoCorrect or AutoText -- I use a true text expander. You
might want to look into Instant Text that will import your AutoCorrect
and AutoText entries so you don't have to relearn your shortcuts or
worry about which version of Word (or Windows) you are using.

Cheryl

"Graham Mayor" wrote:
Use instead autocorrect with abbreviated versions of the words or phrases as
trigger sequences.

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

You can go back to the way Word used to work, before AutoComplete
was introduced. Type the *name* of the AutoText entry, then press
F3.

You don't actually need to type the whole name - just enough of it to
uniquely identify it.

--
Enjoy,

Tony Jollans
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Someone else already spilled the beans in the last few days ... is
there a release date for W2010 yet?

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

You can go back to the way Word used to work, before AutoComplete
was introduced. Type the *name* of the AutoText entry, then press
F3.

You don't actually need to type the whole name - just enough of it to
uniquely identify it.

--
Enjoy,

Tony Jollans
Microsoft Word MVP-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barbara Barbara is offline

Cheryl, thank you , you understand my problem perfectly. I have explored
other expanders, and silly me relied on Word. I know other transcriptionists
who have relied on Microsoft and Word also. Big mistake I see now. Instant
Text was one I was exploring last year.

You wouldn't happen to know if it is easy to import the microsoft normal.dot
into Instant text would you? If not, that's fine. I can research it.

I thank others who have responded also. I'm happy to see that Microsoft is
restoring this functionality for 2010, but - too late for me. I hope in the
future Microsoft thinks TWICE before trashing functionability when they
release a new version of an existing product. You leave customers out in the
cold and a bad taste in their mouths.

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

You can go back to the way Word used to work, before AutoComplete
was introduced. Type the *name* of the AutoText entry, then press
F3.

You don't actually need to type the whole name - just enough of it to
uniquely identify it.

--
Enjoy,

Tony Jollans
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl Flanders Cheryl Flanders is offline

Instant Text can import your AutoText and formatted AutoCorrect
entries from the normal.dot, if that is what you are asking.

Cheryl