BK

Default Format a label using the split cell approach for two different tex

I'm using mail merge to make labels that require two different text
directions. I have successfully learned the split cell technique which
solves my vertical (number) problem (Thanks Graham!); however my horizontal
text is not fixed text. It needs to match up with its corresponding vertical
number. Is it possible to do two mail merges in this format? I would really
like to avoid cutting and pasting.
Graham Mayor

Provided you set the numbers with SEQ fields or have your mergeable data in
the same data file as the mergeable numbers (i.e. you can only merge from a
single data file) then simply insert your merge fields in place of the fixed
data in the split cell. Just make sure you have only the correct number of
NEXT record fields.

BK wrote:
I'm using mail merge to make labels that require two different text
directions. I have successfully learned the split cell technique
which solves my vertical (number) problem (Thanks Graham!); however
my horizontal text is not fixed text. It needs to match up with its
corresponding vertical number. Is it possible to do two mail merges
in this format? I would really like to avoid cutting and pasting.

BK

I am merging data that is in the same file. My trouble comes when I try to
to insert the new fields (in place of the fixed data) in the second part of
the split cell. If I click on udate the label or replicate, I loose these
fields as these are replaced by the vertical data and I am back to square
one. I must be missing a critical step. Any suggestions?

BK wrote:
I'm using mail merge to make labels that require two different text
directions. I have successfully learned the split cell technique
which solves my vertical (number) problem (Thanks Graham!); however
my horizontal text is not fixed text. It needs to match up with its
corresponding vertical number. Is it possible to do two mail merges
in this format? I would really like to avoid cutting and pasting.

Graham Mayor

If you use split cells and the replicate function, it will conspire against
you - as you have discovered. You will need to manually copy and paste the
cell content into the required cells. It's a bit more trouble than Word's
propagation (and it would probably be helpful if you told the merge process
that this was a form letter merge document type rather than a label merge,
so that it will not try to pre-empt your requirements), but you only have to
do it once. You will still need a NEXT record field in every *label* except
the first (but not in every cell).

BK wrote:
I'm using mail merge to make labels that require two different text
directions. I have successfully learned the split cell technique
which solves my vertical (number) problem (Thanks Graham!); however
my horizontal text is not fixed text. It needs to match up with its
corresponding vertical number. Is it possible to do two mail merges
in this format? I would really like to avoid cutting and pasting.

BK

I told the merge process it was a form letter and chose to open an existing
document (my split cell label with the vertical text that I have saved). I
am really not sure if this is what you had in mine. I inserted my fields
into the second cell and it did work but only for that particular cell. How
do I get word to put a NEXT record field where I need it to go? Thanks for
your help.

BK wrote:
I'm using mail merge to make labels that require two different text
directions. I have successfully learned the split cell technique
which solves my vertical (number) problem (Thanks Graham!); however
my horizontal text is not fixed text. It needs to match up with its
corresponding vertical number. Is it possible to do two mail merges
in this format? I would really like to avoid cutting and pasting.

Graham Mayor

This is difficult to explain

Each finished label comprises two cells, thanks to the splitting. This is
completely at odds with what a label merge expects to find so we are working
around that.

One cell is rotated and contains your numbering. The other cell will contain
your other fields, but the two cells together are treated as if they were
one. In all but the first label, one of those cells must contain a NEXT
field so that the information from the following record will be inserted in
that cell.

From the merge toolbar
(http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm ) insert the
fields you require in the second cell of the first label. Insert a next
field (from the toolbar) at the beginning of the cell. Copy the cell
contents to the clipboard and paste into the second cell of every label on
the page. Finally DELETE the NEXT field from the FIRST label.

If the rotated cell with the numbering is to the LEFT of fixed cell, put the
NEXT fields in the rotated cells rather than in the fixed cells (NOT IN
BOTH!!!) or the numbering could be out of sequence with the associated
records.

Does that help? If not come back and we'll try again