Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
lynn lynn is offline

Default MACRO HELP

I need to merge 5-10 data entries into legal contracts. Is this possible with
a Macro? I know how to do a Mail Merge, but this seems like the wrong way to
do it. What exactly is a Macro? This is driving me crazy!

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It is certainly possible to do with which a macro, which is some
instructions written in VBA that are executed when the macro is run,
something that is not possible with mail merge itself.

You would need to give more detail of exactly what you need to do for us to
be able to tell you how to go about it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"LYNN" wrote in message
I need to merge 5-10 data entries into legal contracts. Is this possible
with
a Macro? I know how to do a Mail Merge, but this seems like the wrong way
do it. What exactly is a Macro? This is driving me crazy!

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
lynn lynn is offline

I have approximately 48 words for multiple real estate legal contracts; each
deal utilizes around 16 individual contracts. I want to be able to create a
data source and make fields (which I insert into the document--like a mail
merge) and merge the data into the fields in one step (each contract into one
step if need be). Rather than continuously typing the data into 16 different
repetitive legal documents, I want to be able to merge them somehow. Another
paralegal told me that I could do a macro. Mail merge is working, but if it
can be done more efficiently, I am willing to set it up that way. One office
girl said that a macro is only used for lengthy paragraphs. Thx.

"LYNN" wrote in message
I need to merge 5-10 data entries into legal contracts. Is this possible
with
a Macro? I know how to do a Mail Merge, but this seems like the wrong way
do it. What exactly is a Macro? This is driving me crazy!

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

While mail merge can be used for such a task, its primary purpose is a
little different - create multiple copies of the same base document with
each one containing the data from an individual record in the datasource.
In your case, you are wanting to create a single copy of around 16 different
base documents, each of which has the same data in it.

As a result, I would approach it in a somewhat different way.

1. I would create each of the around 16 different base documents as a
template (.dot file)
2. In each of those templates, I would insert { DOCVARIABLE } fields.
3. I would have another template that I stored in the Word\Startup folder
so that it was and add-in. That template would contain a userform which
would have controls into which you entered the approximately 48 words. It
would also contain a multiselect listbox which was populated with the
filenames of the 16 different base documents. When the user activated this
form, they would enter the 48 words into the controls provided and they
would select from the listbox the templates from which they wanted to create
the documents. Then they would click on a button on the form that caused
some code to run that would create a document from each of the selected
templates, it would create variables in that document that would contain the
words that had been entered into the controls on the form (the 48 words),
then it would update the fields in the document so that the { DOCVARIABLE }
fields displayed the data that had been entered into the form. In that way,
you would end up with your 16 or so documents, populated with the data for
that deal.

I have to admit however, that for someone who does not know exactly what a
macro is, this maybe a bit of a challenge.

However, to start, take a look at the article "How to create a Userform" at:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms/CreateAUserForm.htm

--

"LYNN" wrote in message
I need to merge 5-10 data entries into legal contracts. Is this possible
with
a Macro? I know how to do a Mail Merge, but this seems like the wrong
way
do it. What exactly is a Macro? This is driving me crazy!

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Reading between the lines, you may find either autotext or autocorrect a
useful means of storing repeteitive data for ease of insertion into your
documents. These are ideal for storing standard wordings for contracts etc
and ensure no mistakes during entry. You may also find
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm a useful reference.