James Inman

Default Add page numbers in Word and skip first three

Ok this is really annoying... Microsoft should fix this... I want my pages
numbered but I DON"T WANT THEM ON THE FIRST THREE PAGES... I'm creating a
Word doc for a book and NO ONE puts page numbers on the copyright page or
forward or introduction... I want it to start on the first page when the book
starts on CHAPTER ONE... Why is there not an option to do this? Isn't Word a
program to write a BOOK? Why does everything have to be set up for buisness?

Greg Maxey

James,

Feel better? Word can be frustrating. You can achieve your desire effect
several ways. Use a section break after page three or use conditional
headers or footers. See:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

and

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Conditiona...rs_Footers.htm

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

James Inman wrote:
Ok this is really annoying... Microsoft should fix this... I want my
pages numbered but I DON"T WANT THEM ON THE FIRST THREE PAGES... I'm
creating a Word doc for a book and NO ONE puts page numbers on the
copyright page or forward or introduction... I want it to start on
the first page when the book starts on CHAPTER ONE... Why is there
not an option to do this? Isn't Word a program to write a BOOK? Why
does everything have to be set up for buisness?

James Inman

I figured out part of what I want to do but I think it should be eaiser...
There should be more options in page numbering... It's silly and too
complicated and not very user friendly... I'm not stupid... I've had a
computer for the past fifteen years and this was just a pointless waste of
time... I'm sure I can can find a better program online for free that does
the same thing with one click... Come ON Microsoft... Get it together...

James Inman wrote:
Ok this is really annoying... Microsoft should fix this... I want my
pages numbered but I DON"T WANT THEM ON THE FIRST THREE PAGES... I'm
creating a Word doc for a book and NO ONE puts page numbers on the
copyright page or forward or introduction... I want it to start on
the first page when the book starts on CHAPTER ONE... Why is there
not an option to do this? Isn't Word a program to write a BOOK? Why
does everything have to be set up for buisness?

James Inman

The current state of software mumbo jumbo perhaps cannot be helped... Get
some REAL software designers and then come on back...

BTW my state of MIND tells me this is BULL!

"James Inman" wrote:

Ok this is really annoying... Microsoft should fix this... I want my
pages numbered but I DON"T WANT THEM ON THE FIRST THREE PAGES... I'm
creating a Word doc for a book and NO ONE puts page numbers on the
copyright page or forward or introduction... I want it to start on
the first page when the book starts on CHAPTER ONE... Why is there
not an option to do this? Isn't Word a program to write a BOOK? Why
does everything have to be set up for buisness?

Greg Maxey

Could be. Fact is that you are not carrying on this diatribe with anyone at
Microsoft at present so it is comparable to ****ing in the wind. The
solution has been provided twice. It you don't want to see it because you
are in such a froth that things don't work the way you think they should
then then perhaps you can't be helped.

--

"James Inman" wrote:

Ok this is really annoying... Microsoft should fix this... I want
my pages numbered but I DON"T WANT THEM ON THE FIRST THREE
PAGES... I'm creating a Word doc for a book and NO ONE puts page
numbers on the copyright page or forward or introduction... I want
it to start on the first page when the book starts on CHAPTER
ONE... Why is there not an option to do this? Isn't Word a program
to write a BOOK? Why does everything have to be set up for
buisness?

PopS

www.OpenOffice.org
It's Sun Microsystems, free, downloadable, and does a
lot of what Office does. Check out their newsgroups.

Your attitude stops you from getting quick and useful
Microsoft here; it's just a newsgroup ABOUT microsoft
products on their servers, no more, no less. There are
no paid employees running these groups.
No one here will mind if you switch to OO, and
complain to them. You can even suggest changes there
and help in future designs.

HTH,
Pop