Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jason Jason is offline

Default Synchronization of outline level with Bulleted level

I am using Word 2003 in Windows XP and would like to create a bulleted list
that synchronizes the bullet level with the outline level that one sees when
switching to the Outline View (or, vice versa--synchonizing the outline level
created in the Outline View with an appropriate bullet in a normal view). Is
there an easy way to do this? Word seems to have no problems applying this
type of formatting with a numbered list, but not with a bulleted list.

I created an outline a few days ago using the Outline View, only to find out
that the "outline" structure wasn't emulated in the print view when I went to
print. Simply selecting the outlined text & applying a bulleted list pattern
to it did not achieve the effect of emulating the outline view by adding a
distinct bullet per outline level with the appropriate indention. Instead,
doing so rendered the same bullet icon with no indention change.

My goal: rather than creating the outline inside the outline view, I'd love
to create a bulleted list in the normal/print view and then switch over to
the outline view to be able to collapse/expand levels of the bulleted list.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The outline level of a paragraph is different from its numbering level
(as you've noticed). Outline view uses the Outline Level option in
Format | Paragraph, Indents and Spacing tab. You can assign outline
levels manually, but this will be a tedious task.

Instead, for each level of bullets, use a specific paragraph style. For
example, you can use the built-in List Bullet, List Bullet 2, etc.
styles. Set the appropriate Outline Level (in the Modify Style dialog
box: click Format, click Paragraph, Indents and Spacing tab) for each
style.

Then define an outline list based on these styles. See the
"How to set up your List Bullet styles to get several levels of indented
bullets" section of the article at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/bull...olbullets.html.

--
Stefan Blom