Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
lledford lledford is offline

Default Index headings showing up in TOC (Word 2007)

I have a document that has a Table of Contents at the beginning of the
document and an Index at the end. When I generate the Index, then update the
Table of Contents, the Index headings (A, B, C, etc) show up in the TOC. I
have gone into the index and changed the style of the headings to several
different styles, however, this did not solve the issue.

One other note: Because of previous issues with an index in Word 2007, I am
saving the document as a .doc extension. I have tried saving as a .docx and
this does not solve the problem.

Thank you in advance for any assistance,
Lori
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hello Lori

lledford wrote:
I have a document that has a Table of Contents at the beginning of the
document and an Index at the end. When I generate the Index, then update the
Table of Contents, the Index headings (A, B, C, etc) show up in the TOC. I
have gone into the index and changed the style of the headings to several
different styles, however, this did not solve the issue.

One other note: Because of previous issues with an index in Word 2007, I am
saving the document as a .doc extension. I have tried saving as a .docx and
this does not solve the problem.

Indes headings showing up in a TOC probably means

- either their paragraph has been assigned an outline level,
- or the style of the index heading has somehow been assigned to the TOC
for picking up.

Go with the cursor to such an index heading. What style is showing up?
What does the paragraph level in the Paragraph dialog (small arrow on
bottom right in the Ribbon under Start | Paragraph)?

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
lledford lledford is offline

The paragraph has been assigned an outline level, for some reason. Thanks
for your assistance.
Lori

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hello Lori