Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] ediebur@rcn.com is offline

Default combining documents

My wife is finishing a thesis for her MA degree. There are two
parts,both completely done ( MS WORD 2004 for a MAC) and formatted
properly according to the requirements. I am having difficulty combing
the documents. The Master Document command set seems to requre all
sorts of header adjustments that I fear will mess up the carefully
adjusted already existing formatting. Just inserting or selecting one
document and pasting in the other completely fouls up the page
numbering ( lower case roman numerals on the center bottom for one
part, normal numerals for the rest). My sister-in-law ( an IEEE
technical editor) is telling us that MS WORD just doesn't do this
operation well and we are better off just leaving the documents
separate. I find this rather odd since it seem like a normal
operation. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Avoid Master Documents like the plague!
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Wh...ocsCorrupt.htm
Depending on the formatting differences between the two documents insert a
new page section break at the end of the first one then insert the second
document after the break(insert file). You can set different page
numbering for each section.

wrote:
My wife is finishing a thesis for her MA degree. There are two
parts,both completely done ( MS WORD 2004 for a MAC) and formatted
properly according to the requirements. I am having difficulty combing
the documents. The Master Document command set seems to requre all
sorts of header adjustments that I fear will mess up the carefully
adjusted already existing formatting. Just inserting or selecting one
document and pasting in the other completely fouls up the page
numbering ( lower case roman numerals on the center bottom for one
part, normal numerals for the rest). My sister-in-law ( an IEEE
technical editor) is telling us that MS WORD just doesn't do this
operation well and we are better off just leaving the documents
separate. I find this rather odd since it seem like a normal
operation. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

wrote:
My wife is finishing a thesis for her MA degree. There are two
parts,both completely done ( MS WORD 2004 for a MAC) and formatted
properly according to the requirements. I am having difficulty combing
the documents. The Master Document command set seems to requre all
sorts of header adjustments that I fear will mess up the carefully
adjusted already existing formatting. Just inserting or selecting one
document and pasting in the other completely fouls up the page
numbering ( lower case roman numerals on the center bottom for one
part, normal numerals for the rest). My sister-in-law ( an IEEE
technical editor) is telling us that MS WORD just doesn't do this
operation well and we are better off just leaving the documents
separate. I find this rather odd since it seem like a normal
operation. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I jut tried it and it messes up the formatting of the inserted document

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For future reference--see here for Google/Entourage gateway to
newsgroups for MacWord, MacExcel, and other MS programs for the Mac:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups
MacWord and WinWord work pretty much the same way, but keyboard and menu
commands are different.

Don't believe your sister-in-law.

It's not clear what you want the page numbering to be, but after
combining the documents, you can reset it for each section by using the
Format Page Number icon on the Header/Footer toolbar.

Note: "messes up the formatting" is not a useful comment. If the link
Suzanne gave does not make it all clear, you'll need to state exactly
what you've got and what you want to have instead, in order to get help
fixing it.