Annette Frank

Default align text center and right on the same line

I need to be able to center align part of the text in the body of the text
and then on the same line right justify another portion of the text. It is
not a header or footer (but looks like what you can do in a header and
footer) but in the text body - so how do I do this? In Word Perfec this is
called a 'hard center on margin' and 'hard flush right' which you can do on
one line of text.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: align text center and right on the same line

  1. Select the text you want to align.
  2. Click on the "Home" tab in the ribbon.
  3. Click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the "Paragraph" group to open the "Paragraph" dialog box.
  4. In the "Paragraph" dialog box, click on the "Tabs" button at the bottom.
  5. In the "Tabs" dialog box, under "Tab stop position", enter the position where you want the text to be centered. For example, if you want the text to be centered on the page, enter 3.5 inches for a standard 8.5 x 11 inch page.
  6. Under "Alignment", select "Center".
  7. Click on the "Set" button, then click "OK" to close the "Tabs" dialog box.
  8. Place the cursor where you want the right-aligned text to start.
  9. Press the "Tab" key on your keyboard to move the cursor to the tab stop you just created.
  10. Type the text you want to be right-aligned.

Your text should now be centered and right-aligned on the same line. You can adjust the tab stop position and alignment as needed for your specific document.
__________________
Jay Freedman

Annette Frank wrote:
I need to be able to center align part of the text in the body of the
text and then on the same line right justify another portion of the
text. It is not a header or footer (but looks like what you can do
in a header and footer) but in the text body - so how do I do this?
In Word Perfec this is called a 'hard center on margin' and 'hard
flush right' which you can do on one line of text.

Word works completely differently from WordPerfect for this (and many other
features). In Word, you need to place a center-aligned tabstop at the
midpoint and a right-aligned tabstop at the right margin, and then separate
the items with tab characters. The Header and Footer styles already include
the proper tabstops, and you can add them to any other style (this is easier
to re-use than manually inserting the tabstops into particular paragraphs).
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/SettingTabs.htm for more info.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Glen R. Basey Glen R. Basey is offline

Yes, it worked fine. The problem is the basic difference between Word and
Word Perfect. Word was created by computer programers and Word Perfect was
created by people who were using the typewritter to do work. So Word Perfect
is much more intunitive and straight forward to those who learned to type on
a typewriter and just want to get the job done in the fewest possible strocks.

But I now understand and indeed it now works

"Annette Frank" wrote:

Worked beautifully -- thanks

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Annette Frank wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

For more on the differences between Word and WordPerfect, see the
"Getting Started" section at http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Glen R. Basey" wrote in message
Yes, it worked fine. The problem is the basic difference between

Word and
Word Perfect. Word was created by computer programers and Word

Perfect was
created by people who were using the typewritter to do work. So Word

Perfect
is much more intunitive and straight forward to those who learned to

type on
a typewriter and just want to get the job done in the fewest

possible strocks.

But I now understand and indeed it now works

"Annette Frank" wrote:

Worked beautifully -- thanks

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Annette Frank wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Legallisa Legallisa is offline

I need help with this too. In fact I'd love a macro or to assign a keyboard
key because I use this so much (In Word Perfect it was F4 and so much quicker
than setting tab stops etc.)

I don't have a clue what you're talking about below! I'm switching to Word
07 after 25 years of WP. I have to say I am liking what I learn, but still
have to go back to WP to do a couple of things (one is typesetting: advancing
a line to a particular place, e.g., 3" from the left margin; but that is
another problem).

I read the FAQ but don't understand. Can you give simple a step-by-step?

Thx.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Annette Frank wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

Hi, here is your Advance code:
Insert
QuickParts
Fields
Advance (set your settings as desired).

I use this code (but it is usually on WP users who do).

Hope this helps.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Annette Frank wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

As to your other problem - here is a fix I think a table would be better
with bodytext and put in autotext - this line is on its own that is why you
would use a table really not do as below because anyone else editing would
be very annoyed at trick formatting:

CTRL Shift Spacebar(= 1 hard space)[1 spacebar space]The[CTRL
spacebar]Report[1 spacebar space]docsliveonline (press CTRL J and shift
enter).

It is better to use a table and QuickParts or Autocorrect there are many
options and if you describe what the format is for in a short example the
suggestions can be a little more accurate.

Glad you are enjoy Word.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Annette Frank wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

oops 1 error
CTRL Shift Spacebar(= 1 hard space)[1 spacebar space]The[CTRL
Shift Spacebar]Report[1 spacebar space]docsliveonline (press CTRL J and
shift
enter).