wrknprgrss79

Default Installing MS Word 2003 onto a USB Device

I wish to carry around a copy of MS Word 2003 on a USB device to use on any
computer, even if an older version of MS Word is installed. Even though all
the different computers I will be using are public, some allow me to download
programs and access c: drive information. The main reason for me wanting to
do this is that I enjoy the Reading Layout MS Word 2003 offers. Two other
things I hope to learn how to do is to save macros and toolbar settings onto
my USB device as well. If you have any useful information please respond at
once. Thank you.
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

The first issue that comes to mind on this is that
MS Office apps place a good deal of their information
into the Windows and Program Files\Common files folder
on the Windows drive, so your USB device may need to
be 'self booting' for Word 2003 to work in that fashion.

========
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

Amedee Van Gasse

wrknprgrss79 shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

I wish to carry around a copy of MS Word 2003 on a USB device to use
on any computer, even if an older version of MS Word is installed.
Even though all the different computers I will be using are public,
some allow me to download programs and access c: drive information.
The main reason for me wanting to do this is that I enjoy the Reading
Layout MS Word 2003 offers. Two other things I hope to learn how to
do is to save macros and toolbar settings onto my USB device as well.
If you have any useful information please respond at once. Thank you.

It won't work, and even if it would work, you're probably not allowed
to do that.

Why it won't work: MS Word 2003 isn't nicely self-contained in its
program folder. It installs files and registry key all over the place,
like a fragmentation bomb.

The only thing that is possible, is saving your macros, toolbar
settings, templates etc to USB. You can change the default file
locations in Tools -- Options.

Why you're probably not allowed to do it: the End User License
Agreement ties your software installation to a specific hardware
installation. You probably need a separate license for every computer
you are going to use with Office.
WARNING: IANAL(tm) (I Am Not A Lawyer), please seek your own legal
advice.

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
How to Report Bugs Effectively
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no" as the
answer.
http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-with-yes-or-n
o-answers.html
Amedee Van Gasse

Bob Buckland ?:-) shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.newusers:

The first issue that comes to mind on this is that
MS Office apps place a good deal of their information
into the Windows and Program Files\Common files folder
on the Windows drive, so your USB device may need to
be 'self booting' for Word 2003 to work in that fashion.

The only thing that could work, would be a complete Windows
installation (with Word) on an USB hard drive. Not a memory stick, it's
too small. The hard drive should be bootable AND every pc used must be
able to boot from USB - which is not always the case for a pc more than
2 or 3 years old.

If you really want "your own" operating system with "your own" word
processor to carry around, without leaving any "dust" on computers you
visit, you should try one of the Linux Live CDs. I have used and can
recommend Ubuntu and Knoppix. All of the Live CDs have OpenOffice on
board, which is compatible with Microsoft Office. Most importantly: you
won't have to worry about the license.

Perhaps this is not the answer you expected but if you have some
intellectual integrity, you should try at least one of the Live CDs, so
you can judge for yourself. You might even like it. Or not, but then
you have had the experience and you know from first hand experience
what you are talking about.

Good luck!

--
Amedee Van Gasse