Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jon jon is offline

Default [newbie] faq 1.0

1. How do I make trailing dots? Say I write Comments on a form and want to
write trailing dots until the right hand side of the page.

2. Sometimes I have a bit of a problem making an underline that runs from
the left hand side to the right hand side of the page. Has this issue
happened to anyone else?
Is there a shortcut for making this line straight away?

3. How do I create checkboxes (preferably quickly)?

4. How do I create frames of text/pictures? This is because I might want
text to be aligned within a particular frame in the form of a newspaper for
example.

5. How do I review the Style settings? Basically I want to create/update
styles for Heading 1, Heading 2 etc, because on my version only Heading 1
seems to exist, and, after scrolling about a bit 'Heading 2' appeared.

Word 2007
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Jon wrote:
1. How do I make trailing dots? Say I write Comments on a form and
want to write trailing dots until the right hand side of the page.

Set a right-aligned tab stop at the right margin, and give it a dot
'leader'. To do this, open the Tabs dialog (Alt+O, T), type in the distance
from the left margin to the right margin, click the Right option and the dot
leader option, and click OK. [Note: Don't use the Tabs button in the
Paragraph dialog; see
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...672447?hl=en.]
Then press the Tab key to insert a tab character between the text on the
left and on the right.

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...ettingTabs.htm discusses this, but
hasn't been updated for Word 2007.

2. Sometimes I have a bit of a problem making an underline that runs
from the left hand side to the right hand side of the page. Has this
issue happened to anyone else?
Is there a shortcut for making this line straight away?

Turn on the top or bottom border of a paragraph. On the Home tab of the
ribbon, the Borders button is the rightmost in the bottom row of the
Paragraph group. A shortcut is to type three or more hyphens in an empty
paragraph and then hit Enter. This depends on having 'Border lines' checked
in Office button Word Options Proofing AutoCorrect Options
AutoFormat As You Type, but those options are troublemakers best turned off
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...utoFormat.htm).

3. How do I create checkboxes (preferably quickly)?

The 'legacy controls' (protected form fields and ActiveX controls) are on
the Developer tab of the ribbon, which you can enable in Office button
Word Options Popular. If you use form field check boxes, you need to
'protect the document for forms', which disables a lot of Word's functions.
ActiveX controls have some other nasty side effects.

If the check boxes will be used only in Word 2007, and not sent to anyone
using an earlier version, try Greg Maxey's add-in at
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Custom_CC_Checkboxes.htm.

4. How do I create frames of text/pictures? This is because I might
want text to be aligned within a particular frame in the form of a
newspaper for example.

I'm not sure what you're asking here. If you want to put a frame _around_
text, there's an Insert Frame button among the legacy controls mentioned in
#3 -- select the text and click the button.

5. How do I review the Style settings? Basically I want to
create/update styles for Heading 1, Heading 2 etc, because on my
version only Heading 1 seems to exist, and, after scrolling about a
bit 'Heading 2' appeared.

Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S or click the tiny arrow button at the right end of
the name bar of the Styles group on the Home ribbon. That opens the Styles
pane. Click the Options link in the bottom right and choose to display All
Styles and list them alphabetically. Then you can right-click any style and
choose Modify.

You can also click the third of the three similar buttons at the bottom --
the tooltip says Manage Styles -- and choose which styles appear in the
gallery and in what order.

Word 2007

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...ettingTabs.htm discusses this,
but hasn't been updated for Word 2007.

Actually, it has.

Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S ...That opens the Styles pane.

This doesn't work for me because that shortcut is assigned to a DataPrompter
macro, but even if I unassign the macro, the shortcut still doesn't work,
and I can't find any command in the Customize dialog that looks as if it
would open the Styles pane as opposed to the Apply Styles dropdown. What am
I doing wrong?

http://word.mvps.org

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Jon wrote:
[...]

in #3 -- select the text and click the button.

[...]

so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default faq 1.0

It was probably the first thing I put on my QAT. In the Customize
window, it's the one whose button is AA with the second A underlined,
and the legend is "Styles..." (the one whose legend is "Styles" gives
you the Styles dropdown, so the Home tab or the Styles pane don't have
to show (using up screen space) in order to quickly grab a new style)

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...s.htmdiscusses this,

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ement/ms.....]
[...]

Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
so all may benefit.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Indeed it is. Thanks, Peter. I could have sworn I looked at all the
alternatives, but I guess I didn't try that one.

http://word.mvps.org

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...gement/ms....]
[...]

newsgroup
so all may benefit.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You remembered my name! Bless you! I wish I'd ever called you Susan so
I could atone now ...

The trouble with QAT buttons is that once they're there, there's no
reason to remember where they came from. I couldn't find any other way
to get to the Style pane until someone mentioned it here ... and don't
get me started on the Font Substitution command! (Extraordinarily
useful for anyone who opens documents from any other source, yet
impossibly buried in about as non-intuitive place as they could find.)

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...mdiscussesthis,

Jon wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...ettingTabs.htm discusses
this, but hasn't been updated for Word 2007.

Actually, it has.

Ah, now I see the added material -- I missed it on my first visit today.

Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S ...That opens the Styles pane.

This doesn't work for me because that shortcut is assigned to a
DataPrompter macro, but even if I unassign the macro, the shortcut
still doesn't work, and I can't find any command in the Customize
dialog that looks as if it would open the Styles pane as opposed to
the Apply Styles dropdown. What am I doing wrong?

The Ctrl+Alt+NumPlus command tells me that Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S is assigned to
the FormattingPane command in the All Commands category. I thought that
removing all nondefault assignments from a key would restore the default,
but maybe not...

Jon wrote:
[...]

controls mentioned in #3 -- select the text and click the button.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The fact that it's called FormattingPane explains why I couldn't find it in
the Customize Keyboard dialog. Given that, as Peter has pointed out, you can
get it on the QAT by selecting Styles..., it seems a bit of a stretch to
expect anyone to look for Formatting.

Jon wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I always remember your name, but since it never appears in your posts, I'm
never sure you aren't meaning to be incognito. g

I agree that things seem to be harder than ever to find in Word 2007,
especially Options settings, which I know by heart in Word 2003.

Also, Jay's post made me realize that where I was unsuccessful in finding
the command was in the Customize Keyboard dialog, where, instead of
referring to Styles, it evidently is called FormattingPane.

http://word.mvps.org

Jon wrote:
[...]

Newbie macro help please Barnet New Users 23 February 23rd 09 07:43 PM
Newbie Questions Martin Page Layout 4 February 2nd 06 07:08 PM
[newbie] better vba coding [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 5 September 14th 05 06:23 PM
NewBie Question 2 Please Help Tom Grassi New Users 2 September 9th 05 05:03 PM
Newbie to Word Please help Tom Grassi New Users 8 September 9th 05 06:07 AM