Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MBennett MBennett is offline

Default Footnotes in a chapter that will need to restart within chapter

I am working on a book with Chapters that will have cases that require me to
start renumbering within the chapter. I will have custom footnotes within.
I have put continuous page breaks to pick up the numbering after the case,
but when I try to pick up the footnote numbering it either starts at one or
if I try to put the number say "39" to pick up on the numbering it includes
the custom numbers, if I add two footnotes it changes it to "41". What can I
do to fix this? Also, I am having problems with the continuous break
sometimes acting as a new page break, because Word does not like to have
footnotes restarting on the same page. Any advice would be very much
appreciated. I have looked online and have not found a similar situation.
Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Setting footnote restart options within individual sections doesn't work in
Word, as you have noticed. I'd recommend using continuous numbering
throughout the document.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"MBennett" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MBennett MBennett is offline

Default Footnotes in a chapter that will need to restart within chapte

Stefan,

Thank you for the response. But unfortunately I cannot use continuous, that
is why I am seeking advice. But from my research online there is no solution
to this problem when using Word.

MBennett

"MBennett" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unfortunately, your only options in Word are sequential notes or restarting
on *every* section. :-(

Of course, if you could make some notes *endnotes*, that would work (with
separate numbering).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"MBennett" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The issue of a section break causing a page break is explained in “Section
break causes an unexpected page break in Word” at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292074. A workaround can be found at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...panColumns.htm.

http://word.mvps.org

"MBennett" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Good point, but the main issue is with renumbering here, which doesn't work
correctly in Word.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP