Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BruceBrad BruceBrad is offline

Default Cursor moves after alt-f9

Word2007: When I press alt-f9 to look at the content of link fields (in some
documents), my insertion cursor jumps to a different place in the document.

In previous versions of Word,the view would scroll to a different place in
the document, but at least the cursor would not move (ie pressing an arrow
would take you back to where you were). Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not seeing what you're seeing. When I press Alt+F9, the cursor stays
put... unless it starts out inside a field, in which case the cursor ends up
at the beginning of that field.

Can you give a little more information on exactly where the cursor starts
out and where it ends up, what kinds of fields they are, etc.?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"BruceBrad" wrote in message
Word2007: When I press alt-f9 to look at the content of link fields (in
some
documents), my insertion cursor jumps to a different place in the
document.

In previous versions of Word,the view would scroll to a different place in
the document, but at least the cursor would not move (ie pressing an arrow
would take you back to where you were). Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BruceBrad BruceBrad is offline

Can you give a little more information on exactly where the cursor starts
out and where it ends up, what kinds of fields they are, etc.?

My fields are links to Excel tables (1/2 page in size) - so pressing alt-f9
does change the layout of the document quite a bit. If I start out with the
cursor in the para before (or after) the table, pressing alt-f9 to make the
field codes appear means that the cursor jumps towards the end of the
document. I'm guessing that it is trying to keep the cursor on the same page
number or similar.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I just tried it with links to several Excel worksheets. This changes the
layout considerably when I press Alt+F9. However, when pressing Alt+F9, the
position of the cursor (if outside fields to begin with) is rock solid, no
matter how much I toggle fields on/off. The location of the cursor stays
put.

The display in Word is closely tied to the display driver and printer
driver. The results you're getting suggest that one or the other (or both)
aren't doing what they're supposed to do. I would check to see if there are
updates available for your display adapter and printer.

--

"BruceBrad" wrote in message
Can you give a little more information on exactly where the cursor starts
out and where it ends up, what kinds of fields they are, etc.?

My fields are links to Excel tables (1/2 page in size) - so pressing
alt-f9
does change the layout of the document quite a bit. If I start out with
the
cursor in the para before (or after) the table, pressing alt-f9 to make
the
field codes appear means that the cursor jumps towards the end of the
document. I'm guessing that it is trying to keep the cursor on the same
page
number or similar.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BruceBrad BruceBrad is offline

The display in Word is closely tied to the display driver and printer
driver. The results you're getting suggest that one or the other (or both)
aren't doing what they're supposed to do. I would check to see if there are
updates available for your display adapter and printer.

I am getting the same problem on two different computers, with different
printers set as default. However, I do recall examples in the past where this
problem did not occur. I'll keep my eyes open for this again and try to track
down what is different.
TammyDj TammyDj is offline
Junior Member

I had the same problem so have created an addin which leaves the cursor in the same position after pressing Alt+F9.

The addin is $2.95 AUD and can be purchased from the following website.

https://secure.softwarekey.com/solo/...thorID=4593799

Cheers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBrad View Post