Renjith

Default Problem with Find and Replace

hi,

i am using Microsoft Office 2003. I am having a problem with Search/Replace
in Word 2003. For example, when I find Font: "Times New Roman", Size: 10
Points, Word is not showing me the portion with the above mentioned
formatting. But at the same time, it is showing other formatting like 8
points or Font color: Balck etc.. This problem is coming with some particular
files only. I couldn't find any difference in the options used by me on all
these files. Please help me.

--
Thanks and Regards,
Renjith R Nair
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?UmVuaml0aA==?=,

i am using Microsoft Office 2003. I am having a problem with Search/Replace
in Word 2003. For example, when I find Font: "Times New Roman", Size: 10
Points, Word is not showing me the portion with the above mentioned
formatting. But at the same time, it is showing other formatting like 8
points or Font color: Balck etc.. This problem is coming with some particular
files only. I couldn't find any difference in the options used by me on all
these files.

The only thing I've ever encountered that even comes close to what you describe
is searching some kind of font formatting, and Word doesn't find all the
instances in the document. The reason for that problem is that Find/Replace also
"sees" the information for Asian/RTL formatting, which isn't changed in an
interface where these options aren't active. So, for example, the LTR is 10 pt
and the RTL is set at 12 pt; therefore, Word doesn't find the text when you
search for 10 pt.

However, this problem does not result in finding other things, instead.

I do have to wonder, however, if there's some connection. IOW, Word may be
finding things where a RTL setting meets the font criteria.

Use a copy of a document for the following test. Delete all but a paragraph of
text where you can reproduce the problem. Test, to make sure you're still seeing
the problem. Note the exact text where it's happening. And check whether the
formatting is coming from a style, or has been directly applied.

Now save the file to HTML format. Go to View/HTML Source. Look for the
formatting information. Here's an example of what I mean. I changed the
definition of the Normal style to use 9 pt, instead of the default 12 pt.
font-size is 9.0, but mso-bidi-font-size is 12. So if I search for 9 pt text in
my document, Find/Replace won't get a "hit" because it's trying to reconcile
with the 12 pt. as well. If I were to manually change mso-bidi-font-size in the
HTML to 9 pt, Find/Replace would then work.

/* Style Definitions */
{mso-style-parent:"";
margin:0cm;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:9.0pt;
mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?UmVuaml0aA==?=,

There is really no way to resolve this issue, short of doing two searches: one
for any direct formatting, the other for the STYLE NAME.

The problem is getting replicated exactly as you have said in your reply.
I am a little confused over this. i.e, How I can solve this?

My document has a paragraph with 13 font size. When I saved this to HTML,
then
mso-bidi-font-size was showing 8 points. It was again not finding the area.
Then I changed mso-bidi-font-size to 13 points, then it was highlighting the
area with this formatting. The question is, How can I solve this issue.
because it is not feasible to convert it to HTML and do it. Please help me on
this regard.