Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WG, LI WG, LI is offline

Default disappearing field in headers

In my document, I include in the header the StyleRef field that places the
chapter heading in the page header.

However, in one section, that field has disappeared in the odd-page headers
on the first and last (17th) pages of the section. If I just type in the
chapter heading, it appears twice on all of the other odd pages in the
section. My section breaks are inserted correctly, and I can't figure what's
causing the field to disappear on only these two pages.

Has anyone seen this before - what have I done to cause this? Thanks for any
help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Make sure that there are no blank paragraphs using the style referenced in
the STYLEREF field. That would cause the STYLEREF field to display blank.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"WG, LI" wrote in message
In my document, I include in the header the StyleRef field that places the
chapter heading in the page header.

However, in one section, that field has disappeared in the odd-page
headers
on the first and last (17th) pages of the section. If I just type in the
chapter heading, it appears twice on all of the other odd pages in the
section. My section breaks are inserted correctly, and I can't figure
what's
causing the field to disappear on only these two pages.

Has anyone seen this before - what have I done to cause this? Thanks for
any
help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WG, LI WG, LI is offline

Thanks for the advice. As far as I can tell, there are no stray paragraphs. I
also tried removing and recreating the section breaks and headings, but this
did not solve the problem.

What's really confusing here is why just the first and last pages of the
section (both odd pages) are the only ones on which this is happening. On all
of the other odd pages in the section, the field appears just like it should.

I appreciate your suggestion. I'll keep banging my head against it.

"WG, LI" wrote in message
In my document, I include in the header the StyleRef field that places the
chapter heading in the page header.

However, in one section, that field has disappeared in the odd-page
headers
on the first and last (17th) pages of the section. If I just type in the
chapter heading, it appears twice on all of the other odd pages in the
section. My section breaks are inserted correctly, and I can't figure
what's
causing the field to disappear on only these two pages.

Has anyone seen this before - what have I done to cause this? Thanks for
any
help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

When you experimented by typing in text in a header, you wrote that it
appeared twice in the headers that "behave." What about the problem headers?
Did it appear at all there? If it did, the problem is likely to be related
to the STYLEREF.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"WG, LI" wrote in message
In my document, I include in the header the StyleRef field that places
the
chapter heading in the page header.

However, in one section, that field has disappeared in the odd-page
headers
on the first and last (17th) pages of the section. If I just type in
the
chapter heading, it appears twice on all of the other odd pages in the
section. My section breaks are inserted correctly, and I can't figure
what's
causing the field to disappear on only these two pages.

Has anyone seen this before - what have I done to cause this? Thanks
for
any
help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WG, LI WG, LI is offline

When I typed text in the 'bad' header, it remained there, but that meant that
the 'good' headers had the same text twice. When I try to insert a field, the
field does not appear in the 'bad' headers, although it does appear twice in
the 'good' ones.

When I toggle the field code in the 'bad' header, the script is displayed as
normal. When I toggle back the other way, the field disappears or has no
content.

I appreciate your continued interest. I hope this info is coherent.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

When you experimented by typing in text in a header, you wrote that it
appeared twice in the headers that "behave." What about the problem headers?
Did it appear at all there? If it did, the problem is likely to be related
to the STYLEREF.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

As Suzanne suggested, check which styles are applied to section breaks (and
to manual page breaks) in the text. You'll find this task easier if you
press Ctrl+Shift+8 to display nonprinting marks.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

When you experimented by typing in text in a header, you wrote that it
appeared twice in the headers that "behave." What about the problem
headers?
Did it appear at all there? If it did, the problem is likely to be
related
to the STYLEREF.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WG, LI WG, LI is offline

It turned out to be exactly as you said - the breaks were formatted in the
Heading 1 style, and so a blank was duly placed in the field.

I've modified that style to have 'page break before'. It seems to eliminate
problems both here and in other documents I've been fighting with.

You guys are life-savers! Thanks for all the help.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Make sure that the section breaks themselves (and the paragraph breaks
before them) are not formatted with the referenced style.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Manual page breaks are killers for this type of formatting, as you've found.
I didn't realize you had page breaks rather than section breaks or I would
have predicted more confidently that that was the problem. As you've
realized, "Page break before" is the solution.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Make sure that the section breaks themselves (and the paragraph breaks
before them) are not formatted with the referenced style.

newsgroup so