Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
wrapless

Default My word wrap doesn't wrap!

When I'm typing along and come to the end of the line, Word breaks up
whatever word doesn't fit and sticks the rest on the next line. The
documentation states that it is supposed to stick the entire word on the next
line, not leave one or two letters on the previous line. I'm sure it's
something simple, but I've looked everywhere and can't find a check box or a
setting to fix this. H
ALP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Luc

Wrapless,
I think your document has become corrupt. If this applies to all your
documents even new ones than your normal.dot is probably gone corrupt. The
only other reason I can think off is a problem with the font you are using.
First read this:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm
If it does not help, post again.

Luc Sanders (MVP - PowerPoint)

"wrapless" schreef in bericht
When I'm typing along and come to the end of the line, Word breaks up
whatever word doesn't fit and sticks the rest on the next line. The
documentation states that it is supposed to stick the entire word on the
next
line, not leave one or two letters on the previous line. I'm sure it's
something simple, but I've looked everywhere and can't find a check box or
setting to fix this. H
ALP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cadbetty

Hey Luc.

This is happening to me as well. New document from Normal. Auto word
wrapping is totally gone. I've tried the steps on the link you provided, but
nothing seemed to help.

This is normal body text...nothing special about it.

Thanks - cadbetty

"Luc" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

This sounds like what would happen with a non-breaking space between each
word. Have you looked at your document with non-printing characters
displayed? A regular space will be a dot while a non-breaking space will
look like a degree symbol. º Don't know how you would be doing this, though.

Also, try turning on table gridlines.

I'm pretty sure Suzanne Barnhill has answered similar problems in the past,
but that may have been pages that wouldn't break, rather than lines.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Version of Word?
Language settings? In Word? In Windows?
--

"wrapless" wrote in message
When I'm typing along and come to the end of the line, Word breaks up
whatever word doesn't fit and sticks the rest on the next line. The
documentation states that it is supposed to stick the entire word on the
next
line, not leave one or two letters on the previous line. I'm sure it's
something simple, but I've looked everywhere and can't find a check box or
setting to fix this. H
ALP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cadbetty

The spaces in my document aren't marked by anything. I have paragraph marks,
indent marks, and a square at the beginning of each new paragraph.

I've deleted all unused styles in my document. I'll look around for line
break options.

I still need some help with this. It's beyond frustrating.

-cadbetty

"wrapless" wrote in message
When I'm typing along and come to the end of the line, Word breaks up
whatever word doesn't fit and sticks the rest on the next line. The
documentation states that it is supposed to stick the entire word on the
next
line, not leave one or two letters on the previous line. I'm sure it's
something simple, but I've looked everywhere and can't find a check box or
setting to fix this. H
ALP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

If they are not marked by anything you aren't displaying them! Ordinary
spaces will show up as a tiny dot with non-printing characters displayed. If
you do have non-printing charters displayed and you are not seeing dots, you
are getting something other than a normal space when you press the spacebar.
That would explain your problem and help with fixing it but I would be
surprised if it were the case.
--

"wrapless" wrote in message
When I'm typing along and come to the end of the line, Word breaks up
whatever word doesn't fit and sticks the rest on the next line. The
documentation states that it is supposed to stick the entire word on
the
next
line, not leave one or two letters on the previous line. I'm sure it's
something simple, but I've looked everywhere and can't find a check box
or
setting to fix this. H
ALP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
wrapless

cadbetty could be talking about my computer, because the problem is identical
to mine. I've tried displaying the non printing characters, but only see the
backwards P (hard return?) symbol. I haven't done anything unusual to cause
this, and it's happening on all new documents w/ all fonts.

"wrapless" wrote in message
When I'm typing along and come to the end of the line, Word breaks up
whatever word doesn't fit and sticks the rest on the next line. The
documentation states that it is supposed to stick the entire word on
the
next
line, not leave one or two letters on the previous line. I'm sure it's
something simple, but I've looked everywhere and can't find a check box
or
setting to fix this. H
ALP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
wrapless

Ok, how on earth did it get corrupted? I haven't done anything earth
shattering, in fact I've hardly done anything at all with Word in ages. Is
the software still that unstable? Lastly, how does one UN-corrupt this
thing.....and please don't tell me I have to re-install Word. Microsoft HAS
to have come up with a more practical answer to its woes by now.

"wrapless" wrote in message
When I'm typing along and come to the end of the line, Word breaks

up
whatever word doesn't fit and sticks the rest on the next line.

The
documentation states that it is supposed to stick the entire word

on
the
next
line, not leave one or two letters on the previous line. I'm sure

it's
something simple, but I've looked everywhere and can't find a check

box
or
setting to fix this. H
ALP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

Try creating a new document and copying your text (all but the last
paragraph mark) into the new document.
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The nonbreaking spaces are a red herring, I think. The document is almost
certainly corrupt.

so
all may benefit.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

This sounds like what would happen with a non-breaking space
between

each
word. Have you looked at your document with non-printing
characters
displayed? A regular space will be a dot while a non-breaking
space

will
look like a degree symbol. º Don't know how you would be doing
this,
though.

Also, try turning on table gridlines.

I'm pretty sure Suzanne Barnhill has answered similar problems in
the
past,
but that may have been pages that wouldn't break, rather than
lines.
--
Charles Kenyon

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version
of

"wrapless" wrote in message
When I'm typing along and come to the end of the line, Word
breaks

up
whatever word doesn't fit and sticks the rest on the next line.

The
documentation states that it is supposed to stick the entire
word

on
the
next
line, not leave one or two letters on the previous line. I'm
sure

it's
something simple, but I've looked everywhere and can't find a
check

box
or
setting to fix this. H
ALP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Haven't you already been pointed to

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The nonbreaking spaces are a red herring, I think. The document is

almost
certainly corrupt.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

See also the MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/ which is

awesome!

"wrapless" wrote in message
When I'm typing along and come to the end of the line, Word

breaks
up
whatever word doesn't fit and sticks the rest on the next line.

The
documentation states that it is supposed to stick the entire

word
on
the
next
line, not leave one or two letters on the previous line. I'm

sure
it's
something simple, but I've looked everywhere and can't find a

check
box
or
setting to fix this. H
ALP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
wrapless

I've been told where to go, a few times more than I care to admit, but I've
never been pointed anywhere. That is, not until now.

"wrapless" wrote in message
When I'm typing along and come to the end of the line, Word

breaks
up
whatever word doesn't fit and sticks the rest on the next line.
The
documentation states that it is supposed to stick the entire

word
on
the
next
line, not leave one or two letters on the previous line. I'm

sure
it's
something simple, but I've looked everywhere and can't find a

check
box
or
setting to fix this. H
ALP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
wrapless

No, no.....maybe I didn't make this point clear. It's not just one
individual .doc document, it's everything! New document or old one that I'm
editing, it does the same thing. So, I don't see how copying one into a new
one will help a bit.

"wrapless" wrote in message
When I'm typing along and come to the end of the line, Word
breaks
up
whatever word doesn't fit and sticks the rest on the next line.
The
documentation states that it is supposed to stick the entire
word
on
the
next
line, not leave one or two letters on the previous line. I'm
sure
it's
something simple, but I've looked everywhere and can't find a
check
box
or
setting to fix this. H
ALP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In that case it's possible that (a) Normal.dot is corrupt or (if it's
affecting existing documents as well) (b) the font or printer driver is
corrupt. For starters, try deleting and reinstalling the printer. If that
doesn't help, delete and reinstall the font.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)

http://addbalance.com/usersguide

See also the MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/ which is

awesome!
from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Version of Word?
Language settings? In Word? In Windows?
--
Charles Kenyon

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented

version
of
Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)

http://addbalance.com/usersguide

See also the MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/ which is

awesome!
from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"wrapless" wrote in

message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
wrapless

Wow, I'm beginning to feel like I'm starring in a bad Perry Mason episode
with all this sleuthing about. I haven't the time for these suggestions
until tonite when I get home from work. I will attempt them then and keep
you posted.....thanks for all the help.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
wrapless

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are an excellent pointer, indeed madam!
I followed your pointing and learned all about my corrupted normal.dot
template. As the tips instructed, I obliterated the sucker and then opened
Word. This apparently forces Word to create a new, pristine normal.dot and
Voila!! All was well in Linewrapland! My only concern is this; will
opening documents created with the tainted template cause the issue to
return?

"wrapless" wrote in message
When I'm typing along and come to the end of the line, Word

breaks
up
whatever word doesn't fit and sticks the rest on the next line.
The
documentation states that it is supposed to stick the entire

word
on
the
next
line, not leave one or two letters on the previous line. I'm

sure
it's
something simple, but I've looked everywhere and can't find a

check
box
or
setting to fix this. H
ALP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor

Unlikely. If the documents are not already corrupt, they will remain
uncorrupted unless you screw them up

---------

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I will merely point out that Luc pointed you to this same article less than
an hour after your initial question was posted. Unfortunately, you chose to
pursue Charles's reply instead. My initial comment that the document was
probably corrupt was meant to point you back to the link Luc had posted.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
idennis

Charles Kenyon Wrote:
Try creating a new document and copying your text (all but the last
paragraph mark) into the new document.
--
Charles Kenyon

Another way is to save the document as a .txt file, then use Word to
open the .txt file and save it as a .doc file again. This kills all
the formatting, including any macros, corruption, etc.

--
idennis

WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 07:26 PM
How can Word display full path of a file in the title bar? SAsif Microsoft Word Help 1 January 26th 06 05:32 PM
Does Word have a QuickCorrect/Quick Word option like WordPerfect? CW New Users 2 December 20th 05 06:54 PM
In Word, how do I surpress headers and footers on page 2 Bill Microsoft Word Help 1 December 15th 05 07:13 PM