Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Dave is offline

Default Opening Word 2007 Stalls if Default Printer offline

I have a HP LaserJet 5L connected to an old Win98 machine that I'm using as a
print server. I turn on the machine & printer only when I need to print from
one of the other machines in the house.

I just built a new machine with Windows XP Pro SP2 and Office 2007
Professional (Trial). After added the networked HP 5L as my default printer,
Word 2007 would stall for 60 seconds whenever it was opened. Presumably,
Word was attempting to communicate with the default printer on startup and
had a long timeout before it would give up. Funny thing is that Excel 2007
didn't seem to care that the printer couldn't be found.

My workaround: install a dummy local printer (HP 5L on LPT1) and set it as
the default printer. So it takes a couple extra steps to print to the
networked printer, but better than having Word hang every time it is opened.

click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
EugeneM EugeneM is offline

Thank you for this. I have been scratching my head for days with this problem
on a lexmark printer.