Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rexmann rexmann is offline

Default save as from desktop .docm or .docx

Hi All

In the past I have been able to right click on a word doc (from a memory
stick or desktop) and choose save as and save to a another part of the PC.

However recently when I right click and save as it only gives me the
following:
Word 2007 Macro-enabled Document (*.docm)
Word 2007 Document (*.docx)

I just want to save in 97-2003 format *.doc as I do not have 2007. It seems
to open fine but I am a bit concerned about the file extensions. I did create
a file on my friends PC using 2007 and copied that over but this happens on
all files!

can I get the normal file extensions

Any help greatly appreciated

Rexmann

Using Word 2003 and windows XP

Is there something I need to do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

If I right click on a file on the desktop I do not get a Save As option at
all. Do you have some special software that has set this up?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"rexmann" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rexmann rexmann is offline

Hi Tony

I don't think there is any special software, I do not right click on the
desktop icon but on a word document saved on the desktop (or more often saved
on a memory stick). It means you can save/move a document to another drive
without opening it or dragging and dropping.

Unfortunately, now it only allows you to save as a docm or docx (which will
not open on earlier versions of word than 2007).

Cheers Rexmann

"rexmann" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

I'm afraid I don't understand the distinction you are making between
clicking on a document and clicking on its icon. I still don't see a Save As
option anywhere so don't know what you had or what may have changed. Sorry.
Perhaps someone else know more about this.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"rexmann" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jake jake is offline

I'm experiencing the same issue only with Word 2003 SP3. (In my
troubleshooting, I tried Excel and PowerPoint documents. SAVE AS is not an
option on the popup menu.)

Right click a Word document residing on the Desktop: SAVE AS is one of the
options on the popup menu.

Under SAVE AS TYPE, there are two choices listed - .docm and .docx

Same thing happens when in Windows Explorer SP2: Right click on any Word
document and under SAVE AS TYPE, only two choices are listed: .docm and .docx

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

If I right click on a file on the desktop I do not get a Save As option
at
all. Do you have some special software that has set this up?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"rexmann" wrote in message
news Hi All

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jake jake is offline

Rexmann: Did you install the Microsoft Office Comaptibility Pack for Word,
Excel and Powerpoint 2007 (fileFormatConverters.exe)? This may be the
culprit.

"rexmann" wrote:

Hi All

In the past I have been able to right click on a word doc (from a memory
stick or desktop) and choose save as and save to a another part of the PC.

However recently when I right click and save as it only gives me the
following:
Word 2007 Macro-enabled Document (*.docm)
Word 2007 Document (*.docx)

I just want to save in 97-2003 format *.doc as I do not have 2007. It seems
to open fine but I am a bit concerned about the file extensions. I did create
a file on my friends PC using 2007 and copied that over but this happens on
all files!

can I get the normal file extensions

Any help greatly appreciated

Rexmann

Using Word 2003 and windows XP

Is there something I need to do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jake jake is offline

I FOUND THE CULPRIT: The Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and
PowerPoint 2007 File Formats (FileFormatConverters.exe)

When I installed this, I could right click a Word document in Windows
Explorer and select a new menu item: SAVE AS... The issue was that I could
only SAVE AS a .docm or .docx document.

The Compatibility Pack did not affect Excel or PowerPoint documents. SAVE AS
was not on the popup menu.

When I uninstalled this pack, my popup window returned to normal (No SAVE
AS) and I can drag a file to another folder without it being converted to a
..docm or .docx