Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lynnmedtran lynnmedtran is offline

Default Can I use the "block and copy" feature within a macro?

I would like to be able to create macros that include searching my current
document, then blocking, copying and pasting chosen info in other parts of my
document but haven't been able to get the macro to record this function. For
example, when I reach the second and subsequent pages while transcribing a
medical report, I would like a macro to search the beginning of the document
copy the patient's name, possibly medical record number and date; page down
to the second page; paste the copied info; and add "Page 2." Is this
possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Yes, however the trick is to get your block highlighted without using the
mouse, so I would turn on the macro recorder and then CTRL+Home to get to
the first page of the document, either hold down the shift key while using
the arrow keys to highlight the text or you can use the Extend Selection key
(F8). Shift F5 should return you to the last place you were working in your
document. (Be careful about returning to an exact page number because that
will be part of the macro as well.)

Have you thought about putting the client name and record number in the
header? Then you wouldn't have to block and copy the information from one
page to the next.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"lynnmedtran" wrote in message
I would like to be able to create macros that include searching my current
document, then blocking, copying and pasting chosen info in other parts of
my
document but haven't been able to get the macro to record this function.
For
example, when I reach the second and subsequent pages while transcribing a
medical report, I would like a macro to search the beginning of the document
copy the patient's name, possibly medical record number and date; page down
to the second page; paste the copied info; and add "Page 2." Is this
possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Are you using a specific template for the transcription? If so then you can
bookmark those areas that you want to repeat elsewhere and then use
cross-references to duplicate the information automatically. Bookmarks can
be tricky to work with depending on the type of setup you have, they can be
easily deleted if you aren't careful, but there are ways around this using
either protected documents or Word fields.

If this possibility will work for you then let us know and we can provide
some specifics on the methods you can use.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word