Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Stefan Blom

You can use AUTONUMLGL fields to accomplish this. Remove the outline
numbering and instead insert an AUTONUMLGL field for each heading as
well as for each caption.

For example:

{ AUTONUMLGL \e } Heading 1
Figure { AUTONUMLGL \e }
{ AUTONUMLGL \e } Heading 2
Figure { AUTONUMLGL \e }

would produce:

1 Heading 1
Figure 1.1
1.1 Heading 2
Figure 1.1.1

Note, however, that AUTONUMLGL fields create a single outline numbered
list, which means that you can't create figure captions and (say)
table captions.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"MacGyverS2000" wrote in
message ...
My document has multiple heading levels (set up per MVP suggestions

on the
default Heading styles), with images in each heading level. The

problem is I
cannot get Word to leave the caption numbering level alone between

different
images.

For example, I have two images, one under a level 1 heading and a

second
under a level 2 heading. I expect the images to be captioned as

"Figure 1.1"
and "Figure 1.1.1", respectively. To prevent word from labeling the

second
as "Figure 1.2", I have to select "Heading 2" in the numbering

scheme of the
caption box. OK, I can live with that annoyance, but when I do so,

it now
forces image one to use a Heading 2 numbering scheme (which also has

the
nasty side-effect of creating an unknown reference error when I

update the
entire document and the inline references).

Is there another step I need to take, or is Word limited in this

regard?