Lisa

Default How do I get a total TYPED line count?

I need to know how to get a total typed line count for the documents that I
transcribe.
I have previously been working in WordPerfect and, quite honestly, love it.
I am now having to switch to Word, and I cannot get a total TYPED line count.
I am new to Word and need a quick and easy way to get a total typed line
count for billing purposes. I have Windows XP Home Edition. I purchased The
Medical Transcriptionist's Guide to MS Word, and I'm just not getting it.
HELP!

Thank you to anyone who can help.
--
Transcriptionist on the rise.
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:27:01 -0700, "Lisa"
wrote:

I need to know how to get a total typed line count for the documents that I
transcribe.
I have previously been working in WordPerfect and, quite honestly, love it.
I am now having to switch to Word, and I cannot get a total TYPED line count.
I am new to Word and need a quick and easy way to get a total typed line
count for billing purposes. I have Windows XP Home Edition. I purchased The
Medical Transcriptionist's Guide to MS Word, and I'm just not getting it.
HELP!

Thank you to anyone who can help.

I'll believe you're treating your word processor like a typewriter,
and hitting Enter twice to get "blank lines". Word considers every
paragraph -- every Enter -- as a line, whether it contains any text or
not. That's why your line count is off.

If you can't train yourself to use styles and the Space Before or
Space After paragraph formatting to create blank space -- and I agree
that this is a hard habit to cultivate -- then there is an
alternative.

Open the Replace dialog. In the Find What box, type

^p^p

(note that these must be lower case p's). In the Replace With box,
type

^p

Click the Replace All button. This will remove the second paragraph
mark from each double occurrence. Now go to Tools Word Count to get
the actual line count.

Finally, click the Undo button to put back all the paragraph marks.
(Someone may suggest closing the document without saving, but in my
experience too many people forget and click the Yes button, thus
saving the altered document instead of what they want to keep. It's
just too dangerous.)

This whole procedure can be recorded as a macro to make it easier to
repeat.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Lisa

Thank you so much! I will give this a try. By the way, how do you make a
macro for this so that I don't have to repeat after each account (which could
consist of over a 1000 lines)
--

wrote:

[...]

Lisa

I tried all that you suggested as far as going to the Replace dialogue, and I
get a message "Word has finished searching the document. The search item was
not found." I typed in ^p^ in the Find What box and ^p in the Replace With
button then Replace All. I opened up the document that I need the total
lines for and then did what you suggested. Any other suggestions, or am I
doing something wrong? Thanks again for your time and help!
--

"Lisa" wrote:

I need to know how to get a total typed line count for the documents that I
transcribe.
I have previously been working in WordPerfect and, quite honestly, love it.
I am now having to switch to Word, and I cannot get a total TYPED line count.
I am new to Word and need a quick and easy way to get a total typed line
count for billing purposes. I have Windows XP Home Edition. I purchased The
Medical Transcriptionist's Guide to MS Word, and I'm just not getting it.
HELP!

Thank you to anyone who can help.
--
Transcriptionist on the rise.

Jay Freedman

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:08:01 -0700, "Lisa"
wrote:

Thank you so much! I will give this a try. By the way, how do you make a
macro for this so that I don't have to repeat after each account (which could
consist of over a 1000 lines)

The article at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...ngRecorder.htm walks
through a recording session. When I tried the procedure I recommended
to you, though, I found that the recorder wouldn't record the Word
Count command or the Undo as part of the macro -- the most critical
part!

So here is the macro you need, which can't be recorded (not an unusual
situation). See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm for how to
put the macro into your template.

Sub TypedLineCount()
Dim oRg As Range, svRg As Range
Set svRg = Selection.Range
Set oRg = ActiveDocument.Range
With oRg.Find
.ClearFormatting
.Replacement.ClearFormatting
.Text = "^p^p"
.Replacement.Text = "^p"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
End With
Dialogs(wdDialogToolsWordCount).Display
ActiveDocument.Undo
svRg.Select
Set svRg = Nothing
Set oRg = Nothing
End Sub

You can assign a hotkey to this macro by following the steps at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...roToHotkey.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Ed Weber

Click FilePropertiesStatistics to see the line count of the document

You might also want to download FileStatistics fro
http://www.productivitytalk.com/inde...ec=down&sort=1

BTW , http://www.productivitytalk.com/ is a site for MTs and contains a
wealth of information.

"Lisa" wrote in message
I need to know how to get a total typed line count for the documents that I
transcribe.
I have previously been working in WordPerfect and, quite honestly, love
it.
I am now having to switch to Word, and I cannot get a total TYPED line
count.
I am new to Word and need a quick and easy way to get a total typed line
count for billing purposes. I have Windows XP Home Edition. I purchased
The
Medical Transcriptionist's Guide to MS Word, and I'm just not getting it.
HELP!

Thank you to anyone who can help.
--
Transcriptionist on the rise.