Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
brandie brandie is offline

Default Links not updating

I am running Office XP with Service Pack 3 installed. I have links to cells
in an Excel file. When I open it and it asks me if I want to update the
links in the document, I click yes, but the links do not actually update.

I've reinstalled Office and it has not helped. I tried opening the document
on another computer and going through the same process, and the links DO
update, so I nkow it's an issue with my PC, not the document. The setting
under ToolsOptionsGeneral for Update automatic links at open is checked.

What can I do?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi brandie,

Toggle the field code display on via Alt-F9 and make sure the links are pointing to the file you think they're pointing to. You can
toggle the field code display off again via Alt-F9. If the source file is open, try saving the updates, then refreshing the links.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"brandie" wrote in message ...
| I am running Office XP with Service Pack 3 installed. I have links to cells
| in an Excel file. When I open it and it asks me if I want to update the
| links in the document, I click yes, but the links do not actually update.
|
| I've reinstalled Office and it has not helped. I tried opening the document
| on another computer and going through the same process, and the links DO
| update, so I nkow it's an issue with my PC, not the document. The setting
| under ToolsOptionsGeneral for Update automatic links at open is checked.
|
| What can I do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
brandie brandie is offline

Hi Macro,

The links are pointing to the correct file. I've tried the updates with the
source file both opened (and saved) and closed, but the links still do not
update.

Thanks for the suggestions though. Any ideas where I might go from here?

"brandie" wrote in message ...
| I am running Office XP with Service Pack 3 installed. I have links to cells
| in an Excel file. When I open it and it asks me if I want to update the
| links in the document, I click yes, but the links do not actually update.
|
| I've reinstalled Office and it has not helped. I tried opening the document
| on another computer and going through the same process, and the links DO
| update, so I nkow it's an issue with my PC, not the document. The setting
| under ToolsOptionsGeneral for Update automatic links at open is checked.
|
| What can I do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi brandie,

The one other possibility I can think of is that you've locked the fields. Try selecting them and pressing Ctrl-Shift-F11 to unlock
them.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"brandie" wrote in message ...
| Hi Macro,
|
| The links are pointing to the correct file. I've tried the updates with the
| source file both opened (and saved) and closed, but the links still do not
| update.
|
| Thanks for the suggestions though. Any ideas where I might go from here?
|
| "macropod" wrote:
|
| Hi brandie,
|
| Toggle the field code display on via Alt-F9 and make sure the links are pointing to the file you think they're pointing to. You
can
| toggle the field code display off again via Alt-F9. If the source file is open, try saving the updates, then refreshing the
links.

| Cheers
|
| --
| macropod
| [MVP - Microsoft Word]
|

| "brandie" wrote in message ...
| | I am running Office XP with Service Pack 3 installed. I have links to cells
| | in an Excel file. When I open it and it asks me if I want to update the
| | links in the document, I click yes, but the links do not actually update.
| |
| | I've reinstalled Office and it has not helped. I tried opening the document
| | on another computer and going through the same process, and the links DO
| | update, so I nkow it's an issue with my PC, not the document. The setting
| | under ToolsOptionsGeneral for Update automatic links at open is checked.
| |
| | What can I do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
brandie brandie is offline

I just now tried that, but it did not work. Thanks for your suggestions
though.

"brandie" wrote in message ...
| Hi Macro,
|
| The links are pointing to the correct file. I've tried the updates with the
| source file both opened (and saved) and closed, but the links still do not
| update.
|
| Thanks for the suggestions though. Any ideas where I might go from here?
|
| "macropod" wrote:
|
| Hi brandie,
|
| Toggle the field code display on via Alt-F9 and make sure the links are pointing to the file you think they're pointing to. You
can
| toggle the field code display off again via Alt-F9. If the source file is open, try saving the updates, then refreshing the
links.

| Cheers
|
| --
| macropod
| [MVP - Microsoft Word]
|

| "brandie" wrote in message ...
| | I am running Office XP with Service Pack 3 installed. I have links to cells
| | in an Excel file. When I open it and it asks me if I want to update the
| | links in the document, I click yes, but the links do not actually update.
| |
| | I've reinstalled Office and it has not helped. I tried opening the document
| | on another computer and going through the same process, and the links DO
| | update, so I nkow it's an issue with my PC, not the document. The setting
| | under ToolsOptionsGeneral for Update automatic links at open is checked.
| |
| | What can I do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
brandie brandie is offline

I just now tried that, but it didn't work. Thanks for your suggestions
though.