Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
cjw064 cjw064 is offline

Default scanning a document in word 2007

Hi all,
How to a scan a document into word 2007 please
Thanks
Chris
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Obviously you need a scanner. The scanner should come with some basic
software that launches the scanned document in Word. However, if you want
the scanned item to be editable text, then you need another software utility
called OCR (Optical Character Recognition). Most scanners come with a basic
OCR package too. So you scan, run the OCR which should open a new document
with an editable new document.

The quality of the original document, the quality of the scan and the OCR
provided will have a major effect on how good the scanned document will be.
If you arte going to do a lot of this, then get a decent scanner and a good
OCR such as AbbeyyFineReader. Budget scanners come with budget software that
does a budget job.

AT the top end of the market, you can get automated scanners with OCR that
will automatically scan large documents (usually up to 50 or 100 duplex
pages) in just a minute or so. But you need a powerful PC and a matching
budget to achieve that.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"cjw064" wrote in message
Hi all,
How to a scan a document into word 2007 please
Thanks
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The issue here, however, Terry, is that Insert | Picture | From Scanner or
Camera... is no longer available in Word 2007. Whether there's a way to
directly acquire OCR text, I don't know.

"cjw064" wrote in message
Hi all,
How to a scan a document into word 2007 please
Thanks
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I see. Office 2007 has its own utility: Microsoft Office 2007, Microsoft
Office Tools, Microsoft Office Document Scanning. But it is just a front end
so that you still use the scanner driver and interface.

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The issue here, however, Terry, is that Insert | Picture | From Scanner or
Camera... is no longer available in Word 2007. Whether there's a way to
directly acquire OCR text, I don't know.

so
all may benefit.

"cjw064" wrote in message
Hi all,
How to a scan a document into word 2007 please
Thanks
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Chris,

MS Office 2003 and 2007 have an optional installation item set, Microsoft Office Document Imaging and Microsoft Office Document
Scanning that you can choose from the Microsoft Office listing in Add/Remove Programs in the Windows control panel.

===============
"cjw064" wrote in message ...
Hi all,
How to a scan a document into word 2007 please
Thanks
Chris
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Suzanne,

There is a method for getting to Insert Picture from scanner, but you have to go throught he Insert=Clipart=Organize Clips choice
to get to it in the File menu of the Office clip organizer. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827100/en-us?FR=1

For document scanning, rather than picture input, installing the optional MS Office Document Imaging and scanning feature set is
the same in 2007 as in 2003.
===============
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message ...
The issue here, however, Terry, is that Insert | Picture | From Scanner or
Camera... is no longer available in Word 2007. Whether there's a way to
directly acquire OCR text, I don't know.

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Thanks for pointing that out, Bob - I haven't installed 2007 on the systems
at work myself, and apparently our techs took the shortcut. Hence, the
result of not being able to locate it. I found it odd that it would be
withdrawn - glad to know it hasn't been

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 4/2/07 10:13 AM, in article , "Bob

"cjw064" wrote in message
Hi all,
How to a scan a document into word 2007 please
Thanks
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

You're probably aware of this, but for the benefit of any interested others
another poster supplied the following in the docmanagement forum:

MODI
dependencies on MODI are removed.
Reason for change: This technology is replaced with XPS.
Migration path: Online fax vendors or others who rely on MODI technology can
either download MODI or update their applications to use the new XPS
technology.
from he
http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office....mspx?mfr=true

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"cjw064" wrote in message
Hi all,
How to a scan a document into word 2007 please
Thanks
Chris
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Taz,

As a guess I wouldn't expect the MS Office Document Imaging app (MS Paper) to survive in the next version. It's original name 'MS
Paper' is what led into the XPS development. MS doesn't often provide its Office graphic file formats that it then discontinues to
3rd party folks, or there would be converters for both .MIX and for .MDI files out there in other graphic apps g). That would lead
to them being more widespread in use, but MS marketing apparently doesn't see it that way g). If I recall correctly MS Office
Document Imaging originally wasn't going to be in Office 2007, but perhaps XPS wasn't far enough along at that point to be able to
transition to it easily.

It seemed odd that the removal of insert/scan from camera feature was going away when digital cameras/phones etc with USB plugins
finally became popular and widespread, but...

====
"CyberTaz" typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet wrote in message ...
You're probably aware of this, but for the benefit of any interested others
another poster supplied the following in the docmanagement forum:

MODI
dependencies on MODI are removed.
Reason for change: This technology is replaced with XPS.
Migration path: Online fax vendors or others who rely on MODI technology can
either download MODI or update their applications to use the new XPS
technology.
from he
http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office....mspx?mfr=true

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ansi ansi is offline

You can install the MODI (Microsoft Office Document Imaging) in the Office
Tools, also available in Office 2007.
See
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...h-office-2007/ for a description.

OCR and document management works as great as in Office 2003.
For the physical scan you still need the scanner+driver, though.
--
Ansgar

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
crookedleg crookedleg is offline

I did this and it installed but when I go to scan a document I get an message
stating that an error has occured and to send info to microsoft....any ideas
how to correct this......

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
whcutter whcutter is offline

On another note and if you are still having no sucess, I found instant
results for my scanner when used with VISTA. Here is the recommended work
around (yes another one, its like scanning text into Word is something new!)
Issue
When the scan button is pressed on the printer, nothing happens. The scan
button does not work correctly.
Solution
Scan documents using Windows Fax and Scanning or Paint.
Scanning with Windows Fax and Scanning
Click the Start ( ) icon.
Click All Programs .
Click Windows Fax and Scanning .
Click New Scan .
Click File and then click Scan .
Scanning with Paint
Click Windows .
Click All Programs .
Click Accessories .
Click Paint .
Click File and then click From Scanner or Camera .
Click Scan .

Cause
The drivers in the Windows Vista operating system do not support button
press functionality on the printer.

Well since my version of Vista did not have Fax software, I used Paint aND
WALA, i was finally able to send selected text to Word, OCR was initiated in
the same process. I will continue to fine tune this.

I hope this is useful to Windows Vista Users.