Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
-Nisko- -Nisko- is offline

Default How use mail merge with envelopes?

Several times a year I address envelopes with a database I've created.
However, I've never figured out how to use the mail merge correctly. I
always end up with one envelope (on the monitor) with an address - then one
blank, then one with the second address, then one blank, etc. Could someone
tell me what I'm doing wrong - the tell me how to do it right so that I can
put about 10 envelopes in my printer at a time instead of one by one. The
way it works for me is: I have to place the cursor on an envelope (on the
monitor) with an address - then print the 'selected page.' Then, I have to
skip the blank envelope and go to the next one (with an address) and print
the same way again. Can someone help? Thank...........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Start with a document created from a template (you can use the samples for
download from my web site) then create a form letter merge (the only
difference between a form letter merge and an envelope merge is that the
form letter doesn't prompt for the envelope size).

-Nisko- wrote:
Several times a year I address envelopes with a database I've created.
However, I've never figured out how to use the mail merge correctly. I
always end up with one envelope (on the monitor) with an address -
then one blank, then one with the second address, then one blank,
etc. Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong - the tell me how to
do it right so that I can put about 10 envelopes in my printer at a
time instead of one by one. The way it works for me is: I have to
place the cursor on an envelope (on the monitor) with an address -
then print the 'selected page.' Then, I have to skip the blank
envelope and go to the next one (with an address) and print the same
way again. Can someone help? Thank...........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
-Nisko- -Nisko- is offline

Thanks, but this doesn't really help. I know how to set up a template. If
you can, please address exactly what I'm asking in the post.

-Nisko- wrote:
Several times a year I address envelopes with a database I've created.
However, I've never figured out how to use the mail merge correctly. I
always end up with one envelope (on the monitor) with an address -
then one blank, then one with the second address, then one blank,
etc. Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong - the tell me how to
do it right so that I can put about 10 envelopes in my printer at a
time instead of one by one. The way it works for me is: I have to
place the cursor on an envelope (on the monitor) with an address -
then print the 'selected page.' Then, I have to skip the blank
envelope and go to the next one (with an address) and print the same
way again. Can someone help? Thank...........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

We can't tell you what you are doing wrong unless you tell us exactly and
completely every detail of how you went about it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"-Nisko-" wrote in message
Several times a year I address envelopes with a database I've created.
However, I've never figured out how to use the mail merge correctly. I
always end up with one envelope (on the monitor) with an address - then
one blank, then one with the second address, then one blank, etc. Could
someone tell me what I'm doing wrong - the tell me how to do it right so
that I can put about 10 envelopes in my printer at a time instead of one
by one. The way it works for me is: I have to place the cursor on an
envelope (on the monitor) with an address - then print the 'selected
page.' Then, I have to skip the blank envelope and go to the next one
(with an address) and print the same way again. Can someone help?
Thank...........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
-Nisko- -Nisko- is offline

I understand - and I'm working on it. I'll repost as soon as I go through
each step again. Thanks...

"-Nisko-" wrote in message
Several times a year I address envelopes with a database I've created.
However, I've never figured out how to use the mail merge correctly. I
always end up with one envelope (on the monitor) with an address - then
one blank, then one with the second address, then one blank, etc. Could
someone tell me what I'm doing wrong - the tell me how to do it right so
that I can put about 10 envelopes in my printer at a time instead of one
by one. The way it works for me is: I have to place the cursor on an
envelope (on the monitor) with an address - then print the 'selected
page.' Then, I have to skip the blank envelope and go to the next one
(with an address) and print the same way again. Can someone help?
Thank...........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
-Nisko- -Nisko- is offline

OK, the reason I was getting a blank page was because each envelope had a
(hidden) frame or text box where the recipients name and address was
supposed to go (I think). Is this true? If so, the name and address began
in the MIDDLE of the text box, not at the left hand side. I don't think
this makes sense. Could somebody explain this to me please? Thanks...

"-Nisko-" wrote in message
Several times a year I address envelopes with a database I've created.
However, I've never figured out how to use the mail merge correctly. I
always end up with one envelope (on the monitor) with an address - then
one blank, then one with the second address, then one blank, etc. Could
someone tell me what I'm doing wrong - the tell me how to do it right so
that I can put about 10 envelopes in my printer at a time instead of one
by one. The way it works for me is: I have to place the cursor on an
envelope (on the monitor) with an address - then print the 'selected
page.' Then, I have to skip the blank envelope and go to the next one
(with an address) and print the same way again. Can someone help?
Thank...........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Envelope addresses are formatted with the envelope address paragraph style
which includes a frame to position that address
(http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm ). Check the formatting
of the paragraph style (and check that there are no other empty frames on
the page that could affect the layout).

"-Nisko-" wrote in message
Several times a year I address envelopes with a database I've
created. However, I've never figured out how to use the mail merge
correctly. I always end up with one envelope (on the monitor) with
an address - then one blank, then one with the second address, then
one blank, etc. Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong - the
tell me how to do it right so that I can put about 10 envelopes in
my printer at a time instead of one by one. The way it works for
me is: I have to place the cursor on an envelope (on the monitor)
with an address - then print the 'selected page.' Then, I have to
skip the blank envelope and go to the next one (with an address)
and print the same way again. Can someone help? Thank...........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It is correct that the Envelope Address style does include a Frame into
which it is intended that the address be inserted and that the frame is
offset from the left and top of the letter so that the address will appear
in the usual position on the envelope.

If you did not insert the merge fields into that frame, but rather placed
them elsewhere on the envelope and forced them into the position of the
frame, then it is quite likely that you displaced the frame causing it to be
located off the edge of the envelope and that is what was causing the
problem.

If you had taken the advice that Graham Mayor first gave you, you would have
almost certainly avoided this problem.

--

"-Nisko-" wrote in message
Several times a year I address envelopes with a database I've created.
However, I've never figured out how to use the mail merge correctly. I
always end up with one envelope (on the monitor) with an address - then
one blank, then one with the second address, then one blank, etc. Could
someone tell me what I'm doing wrong - the tell me how to do it right so
that I can put about 10 envelopes in my printer at a time instead of one
by one. The way it works for me is: I have to place the cursor on an
envelope (on the monitor) with an address - then print the 'selected
page.' Then, I have to skip the blank envelope and go to the next one
(with an address) and print the same way again. Can someone help?
Thank...........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
-Nisko- -Nisko- is offline

You hit the nail on the head. I could have used a "template", but I want to
learn how to do this myself...that's why I didn't take Graham's advice.
Where it says "Arrange Envelope", I placed the Address Block - and just
below it, I placed the Postal Code (tied to the Zip Code). That's what
moved the frame down to the next page. OK, that being said, how should I
have done it at that point so that the address would have gone into the
frame and the Postal Code just below it? If I can learn this, I don't think
I'll have any more problems. Thanks...........

"-Nisko-" wrote in message
Several times a year I address envelopes with a database I've created.
However, I've never figured out how to use the mail merge correctly. I
always end up with one envelope (on the monitor) with an address - then
one blank, then one with the second address, then one blank, etc.
Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong - the tell me how to do it
right so that I can put about 10 envelopes in my printer at a time
instead of one by one. The way it works for me is: I have to place the
cursor on an envelope (on the monitor) with an address - then print the
'selected page.' Then, I have to skip the blank envelope and go to the
next one (with an address) and print the same way again. Can someone
help? Thank...........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The intention of the frame in the EnvelopeAddress style is that all of the
address, inlcuding the zip code be inserted inside the frame.

The AddressBlock that you mention using seems to cause no end of problems,
so most of us recommend that instead of using it, the user just insert the
merge fields that they want to use in the configuration that they want them.

--

"-Nisko-" wrote in message
Several times a year I address envelopes with a database I've created.
However, I've never figured out how to use the mail merge correctly.
I always end up with one envelope (on the monitor) with an address -
then one blank, then one with the second address, then one blank, etc.
Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong - the tell me how to do it
right so that I can put about 10 envelopes in my printer at a time
instead of one by one. The way it works for me is: I have to place
the cursor on an envelope (on the monitor) with an address - then
print the 'selected page.' Then, I have to skip the blank envelope
and go to the next one (with an address) and print the same way again.
Can someone help? Thank...........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
-Nisko- -Nisko- is offline

So I'm supposed to put the Merge Fields inside the Address Block myself? If
true, that isn't obvious using the Merge Wizard. Will the Merge Fields be
aligned with the left side of the Address Block? Thanks........

"-Nisko-" wrote in message
Several times a year I address envelopes with a database I've
created. However, I've never figured out how to use the mail merge
correctly. I always end up with one envelope (on the monitor) with an
address - then one blank, then one with the second address, then one
blank, etc. Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong - the tell me
how to do it right so that I can put about 10 envelopes in my printer
at a time instead of one by one. The way it works for me is: I have
to place the cursor on an envelope (on the monitor) with an address -
then print the 'selected page.' Then, I have to skip the blank
envelope and go to the next one (with an address) and print the same
way again. Can someone help? Thank...........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It helps if you turn on the display of paragraph marks using the ¶ button on
the toolbar. You will then see a paragraph mark where the address is
intended to go.

That paragraph within the frame is left aligned at the left indent of the
paragraph. So, if you insert the individual merge fields directly at that
location, unless you change the alignment of the paragraph, the first
mergefield on each line of the mergefields that you insert will be left
aligned.

Note that I have not made any reference to the "Address Block" in the above
statements as that is irrelevant.

--

"-Nisko-" wrote in message
Several times a year I address envelopes with a database I've
created. However, I've never figured out how to use the mail merge
correctly. I always end up with one envelope (on the monitor) with
an address - then one blank, then one with the second address, then
one blank, etc. Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong - the
tell me how to do it right so that I can put about 10 envelopes in
my printer at a time instead of one by one. The way it works for me
is: I have to place the cursor on an envelope (on the monitor) with
an address - then print the 'selected page.' Then, I have to skip
the blank envelope and go to the next one (with an address) and
print the same way again. Can someone help? Thank...........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
-Nisko- -Nisko- is offline

Thanks, I think I understand now. Using the Address Block with a hidden
frame was the cause of my problem. One question: What is the problem with
Address Block that nobody hardly ever uses it (other than the problem I've
run into)?

"-Nisko-" wrote in message
OK, the reason I was getting a blank page was because each envelope
had a (hidden) frame or text box where the recipients name and
address was supposed to go (I think). Is this true? If so, the name
and address began in the MIDDLE of the text box, not at the left hand
side. I don't think this makes sense. Could somebody explain this
to me please? Thanks...

We can't tell you what you are doing wrong unless you tell us
exactly and completely every detail of how you went about it.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my