Nadia

Default outline numbering changes my "normal" paragraphs to heading styles

I know how painful numbering is in Word 2003 and I have read all the postings
on numbering problems...but I cant seem to find anything to address what's
happening on a document I have inherited.

I have applied styles to the relevant headings that I want numbered,i.e.,
Heading1, Heading2 and Heading3. The rest of the document is "normal".

When I select the document and apply outline numbering based on heading
styles it changes all my "normal" paragraphs to Heading1 styles and obviously
includes them in all the numbering. I have checked the Style for following
paragraph is "normal" and I have switched off Autoformat as you type.....
what am I missing!!
Stefan Blom

If you access the Bullets and Numbering dialog box via the Format
menu, pick a numbering scheme and then click OK, numbering will be
applied to the selected text, which is not what you want. Instead,
link the heading styles, which you already applied to your text, to a
numbering scheme as described at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom

"Nadia" wrote in message
[...]

Nadia

Thanks for your reply Stefan... I hope you see this post, I've been away.
I understand how to link my heading styles based on a numbered list and I
had read and applied Shauna Kellys method previously. The problem with this
is that the Styles will then always be numbered styles (if added to template)
and I mostly use styles for TOC and only occasionally for numbered lists so I
dont want permanently numbered styles. (I know...I know.... all I have to do
is create a new template specifically for numbering).... Im not trying to be
difficult but in previous versions it was easy to apply styles to headings
you wanted to be numbered then select the entire document apply numbering
based on heading styles and bingo! only text with styles were numbered....no
dramas.... I hate v2003......there Ive had my whinge.

thanks again for your reply Stefan

"Nadia" wrote in message
[...]

Stefan Blom

I believe creating a specific template for your numbering needs
is the best approach. This is probably also the easiest way to do
it.

An alternative method is to keep two sets of styles: one numbered
and one unnumbered. Whenever you need to change your settings,
use multiple Replace operations (via EditReplace) to change from
one set of styles to another.

--
Stefan Blom

"Nadia" wrote in message
[...]

Shauna Kelly

Hi Nadia

Am I right in saying that this has been your practice, or is your preferred
practice:

Step 1: Apply heading styles to your headings text. Leave all other text in
Normal style.
Step 2: Select all text in the document.
Step 3: Apply the numbering format you need to the text.

To get control of your numbering, what you need to do is just change the
order of events:
Step 1: Apply the numbering format you need to your heading *styles*.
Step 2: Apply the heading styles to the headings in your document. Leave all
other text in Normal style.

(I know...I know.... all I have to do
is create a new template specifically for numbering)....

To do that, File Save As, and in the Save as Type box, choose "Document
Template". It might be a good idea to create one template with numbered
headings and one without.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.

"Nadia" wrote in message
[...]

Nadia

Hi Stefan and Shauna,
Thank you both for your responses. I bit the bullet and created separate
style templates. It actually works great ! Thanks again.

Cheers,
Nadia