V-ger

Default Tough template question open/new

(Word 2003 on Win XP) Hello! I have been trying to find a way to get my
shortcut menu to work in FileOpen. I am trying to open a NEW file from a
template as "Document #" as it has for years. Now, however, the default in
my shortcut menu is SELECT which only opens the template itself and choosing
anything from the shortcut menu gives me an error message that the dialog box
is open. The choices from the Open button do not include New...the closest
thing is open as read only - which is kind of a mess ("document.dot
(read-only)"). How can I
A.) open a new doc from a template that is not in my FileNewtemplates
folder (locations need to stay where they are), OR
B.) change the default on my shortcut menu to NEW so a double-click will
work, OR
C.) Get my shortcut menu to function as it should?
Please, any help you can give is appreciated, I have looked everywhere else
I know to look for an answer. Thanks!
Charles Kenyon

Start keeping your templates in templates folders. For more on the different
kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog, and locations of templates
folders see http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"V-ger" wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

My advice is to use Word the way it was built to be used. This is sort of
like the advice to use a screw driver for turning screws and a hammer for
pounding nails. You are storing your templates in a location that Word finds
difficult and you are unhappy with the result. You keep hammering screws and
don't like your wood splintered. I'm sorry, that is how it is. When
templates are stored in templates folders, they work very well. You don't
need to use the File Open dialog to access them. There are a number of
other ways to get new documents from templates. Most require vba but not
all. You may want to take a look at
http://www.addbalance.com/word/templatesmenu.htm.

By the way, I am not someone working for Microsoft. They don't usually read
these posts or respond to them. I'm someone who has healed injuries from
trying to get Word to work the way I want it to work rather than learning to
use it the way it is designed. I'm trying to spare you those injuries but
the choice, finally, is yours.