Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
flipnfly8 flipnfly8 is offline

Default How do I convert typed text to audio speech?

I would like to be able to type something in Word and have Microsoft Sam read
the typed text. I would then like to save this as an audio file. Is this
possible with Office 2003 or do I need additional software?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

See http://www.gmayor.com/word_text_to_speech.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

flipnfly8 wrote:
I would like to be able to type something in Word and have Microsoft
Sam read the typed text. I would then like to save this as an audio
file. Is this possible with Office 2003 or do I need additional
software?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Maybe you could program something with the "Microsoft Speech Object
Library"... but it would probably much simpler to use some recording
software like http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity and choose "Wave" as
the source, while you let the Word macro read the text.

Not sure why you'd want to: The resulting *.wav file will be much, much
bigger than the original text document, which you can have read to you at
any time...

Regards,
Klaus

flipnfly8 wrote:
I would like to be able to type something in Word and have Microsoft
Sam read the typed text. I would then like to save this as an audio
file. Is this possible with Office 2003 or do I need additional
software?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
flipnfly8 flipnfly8 is offline

So would I be able to download that software for free? I'm not real familiar
with programming things having to do with microsoft. I may have 4 years of
C++ in high school programming classes under my belt but that doesn't mean
I'm familiar with that interface.

It can be used for quite a few things, for example, any memorizing exercise.
To be able to take that word file and make an audio file and put it to a CD
and play it over and over while you drive, workout, etc. makes multitasking
easier. I can't really bring my desktop in the car with me and even having a
laptop on all the time can be rough with their limited battery life. Also to
give such files to others who have no intention of ever figuring out how to
make their computer talk to them whether because of ignorance or because of
stubornness.

-flip

flipnfly8 wrote:
I would like to be able to type something in Word and have Microsoft
Sam read the typed text. I would then like to save this as an audio
file. Is this possible with Office 2003 or do I need additional
software?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

So would I be able to download that software for free?

Yes. And if you run it, change the dropdown in the middle right from
"Microphone" to "Wave", and then press the round red button to start the
recording. After you stopped the recording (square yellow button), you can
"Export to *.wav" from the file menu.

Greetings,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Yeah, keep on rockin' in the free world...

You're most welcome! I learned something, too.
:-) Klaus