Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric G

Default Alteration of behavior in the Styles and Formatting function?

Word 2003 SP2

XPP SP2

Hello,

I've just overhauled my templates, and in general they all work fine, including all my numbering styles and macros.

But, in the process I must have changed some setting outside of the templates, and I can't find out which setting I played around with.

Previously, when I, in a document, manually changed an applied, pre-defined style, and clicked the style in the drop-down box on the toolbar, and wanted to re-apply the pre-defined style, I always got a warning message about if I wanted to update the style, or re-apply the previously pre-defined style. But, this message does not appear any more, the pre-defined style is applied without further ado, and that's it.

I don't know if this really is bad as it is my experience that styles should be altered in the Styles and Formatting side-bar, and nowhere else. But, I'm still curious as to the setting that controls this function.

Also, I've noticed that in the Style drop-down box on the toolbar, an applied style that is altered in any way, like applying bold, is displayed with the style name plus "+ Bold". Where does this setting (to display the extra information) come from?

Grateful for any suggestion, even if the question is really trivial.

Best regards,

Eric G

Stockholm Sweden

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There are two Options settings involved he

1. Tools | Options | Edit: "Prompt to update style" should be checked to get
the behavior you want.

2. Tools | Options | Edit: "Keep track of formatting" should be cleared to
avoid the display of "formatting" along with styles.

"Eric G" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric G

Suzanne,

Right on the spot as usual. Many thanks for your assistance, I just missed
that little tick mark. (Strange that just one little tick can make such a
difference!)

Best regards,

Eric G
Stockholm, Sweden

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
There are two Options settings involved he

1. Tools | Options | Edit: "Prompt to update style" should be checked to
get
the behavior you want.

2. Tools | Options | Edit: "Keep track of formatting" should be cleared to
avoid the display of "formatting" along with styles.

so
all may benefit.

"Eric G" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Glad I could help.

"Eric G" wrote in message
Suzanne,

Right on the spot as usual. Many thanks for your assistance, I just missed
that little tick mark. (Strange that just one little tick can make such a
difference!)

Best regards,

Eric G
Stockholm, Sweden

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
There are two Options settings involved he

1. Tools | Options | Edit: "Prompt to update style" should be checked to
get
the behavior you want.

2. Tools | Options | Edit: "Keep track of formatting" should be cleared

avoid the display of "formatting" along with styles.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.