SSL

Default table of contents in thesis

I am writing a thesis and have made a table of contents. I need to add in a
heading saying "Table of Contents" and then the "Chapter" on one side and
"Page #" on the other end of the page. Also since the table of contents is
coming on more than one page, I need headings of " Table of contents (contd)"
on the other pages as well. Can anyone tell me how to insert all this text in
the middle of the table of contents?

The first part is easy. Just add a heading above the TOC field. Actually
"Contents" is sufficient; you don't need "Table of Contents." Make sure that
the heading is not in any of the styles your TOC is picking up, or it will
be listed in the TOC (I usually create a special TOC Head style based on
Heading 1 but with a Body Text outline level).

The second part will be more difficult. You might want to give your readers
credit for a little intelligence and omit the running head, but if you
insist, here's how to do it:

1. You'll have to have the TOC in a separate section, so insert section
breaks around it.

2. Select "Different first page" on the Layout tab of Page Setup (for this
section only if you aren't already using that setting for the rest of the
thesis).

3. In the primary Header (not the First Page Header), put your "Chapter" and
"Page" (not "Page #") heading.