Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Nat Nat is offline

Default Page numbers across all Sections

I am working on a 60 page letter (document) in Word 2007. I have 18
sections, b/c I have a header for every page after page one showing "Topic A
(or whatever), continued". I want page numbering at the bottom center to
start on page 2 of the document, and go straight through to the end, across
all sections.

I have tried every which way-- starting with the footer on the second page,
which is also the second section, to starting with the first section, tried
different first page. I get a 1 on the first page, a 2 on the second page,
and a 2 on the third page. The sizes of my sections vary, some are a page
or two, others are more than ten pages. I've tried linking to the previous,
not linking, formating the page numbers using continue from previous.
Whatever I do, it just doesn't go solidly throughout. Can someone from this
wonderful discussion group give me a step by step from the beginning?

Thanks
--
Nat
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If the second page is to have the number 2 on it, use the following field
construction in the footer of the first section

{ IF { PAGE } 1 { PAGE } }

and link the footers in all of the sections to the footer in the previous
section

If you want that page to start at 1, then use

{ IF { PAGE } 1 { = { PAGE } - 1 } }

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters { } and you use
Alt+F9 to toggle off their display.

Note that you might have been able to achieve what you area after by the use
of a STYLEREF field instead of all of the sections.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Nat" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Nat Nat is offline

Thanks Doug. It did help. I still had two page 2s, but I fixed that by
deleting a section at the very beginning.

I would like to learn how to use stylerefs. The tutorials on MS are for
2003, but I assume they'll work for 2007, also.

--
Nat

"Nat" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout