SP

Default page setup

Hi

We have Windows XP, Word 2003, and an HP LaserJet 4200dtn (using latest PCL6
driver).

At the printer, we set the Paper Handling | Tray types are 1) plain, 2)
plain, 3) plain, 4) letterhead.

In Word | File | Page Set up | Paper | Paper Source, we set Letterhead under
First Page and Default (Automatically Select) under Other Pages.

The printouts all came out as Letterhead.

We then go back to Word | File | Page Setup | Paper | Paper Source. We now
set Letterhead under First Page and Tray 2 under Other Pages.

The printouts still came out as Letterhead for all pages.

Is this a Word issue or HP issue ? Or, am I expecting the settings at the
wrong place.

Thanks
Steve

SP

I guess this is a work-around.

Thanks
Steve

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If the document in question has more than one section, then the first page
of each section will print on letterhead.

so
all may benefit.

"SP" wrote in message
[...]

Well it was meant to be an explanation, not a workaround. What I meant was
that if every page is printing on letterhead, it might be because every page
is "page 1." This is the case, for example, with merged letters.

"SP" wrote in message
I guess this is a work-around.

Thanks
Steve

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If the document in question has more than one section, then the first

page
of each section will print on letterhead.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"SP" wrote in message
[...]

SP

Thanks Suzanne for the explanation. It still, strangely, doesn't work for
my case.

Since you mention more than one section, I try a new document with 4 pages.
The first 2 pages are in section 1, and the last 2 pages are in section 2.
In Page Setup, I set the first page as letterhead and other pages as Default
Tray. I also make sure that it is applied to "This Section" only. Ok out
of Page Setup, get my cursor blinking on page 3 (which is section 2), go
back into Page Setup, and I can see that both first page and other pages are
set to Default Tray (for this section 2) - which is all good as they are
different than those for section 1.

I printed. All 4 pages came out on letterhead.

Now, I reverse the settings a little. Back into Page Setup and set first
page and other pages of section 1 to Default Tray. Ok out of Page Setup,
get cursor blinking on page 3, go back into Page Setup. Set first page to
Letterhead and other pages to Default Tray (for section 2).

I printed. The first 2 pages (section 1) came out on regular white paper.
The last 2 pages (section 2) came out on letterhead.

I got one more test, but it got worse. Let's save it for another day.

For now, any further advices/suggestions/solutions are greatly appreciated.

"SP" wrote in message
[...]

SP

Yes, assigning specific tray worked.

So the trick is to leave Letterhead selection alone. As soon as it is
selected, it's screwed up.

Thanks for the tip.